Crusaders Down Assumption 74-52 In Exhibition Game
WORCESTER, Mass. – Junior guard Patrick Benzan totaled 13 points, three rebounds, three steals and two assists, as the Holy Cross men’s basketball team defeated Assumption 74-52 in an exhibition game at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex.
Benzan was one of four Holy Cross players to score in double figures on the night. Freshman guard Austin Butler finished with 12 points, three rebounds and three assists, while freshman guard Caleb Green added 12 points and two assists. In addition, junior forward Karl Charles recorded 10 points, six rebounds and two assists.
The Crusaders hit 53.3 percent of their field goal attempts as a team, while holding the Greyhounds to 30.5 percent shooting from the floor. Holy Cross also held a 40-33 rebounding advantage on the night, and totaled eight steals and four blocks on the defensive end of the court
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• The game was tied at 4-4 early on, before the Crusaders scored nine straight points to claim a 13-4 lead.
• Assumption was able to trim the margin down to four points (26-22) with 3:55 left in the first half, before Holy Cross used a 13-5 run to take a 39-27 advantage into the locker room.
• The Crusaders were still up by 12 (48-36) with 16:33 left in regulation, when they used an 11-1 spurt to take an insurmountable 59-37 lead.
• The Greyhounds would get no closer than 16 points the rest of the way, as Holy Cross cruised to a 22-point victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
• The Crusaders have now beaten the Greyhounds in exhibition action in each of the last five seasons.
• Holy Cross opens the regular season on Friday, Nov. 10, when it travels to Sacred Heart for a 6:00 p.m. game.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
• Season and single-game tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.