Crusaders Down Sacred Heart In Season Opener
FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Junior forward Karl Charles scored 23 points to lead the Holy Cross men’s basketball team to a 69-64 victory over Sacred Heart at the William H. Pitt Center. The Crusaders open the year at 1-0 with the win, while the Pioneers start the season 0-1.
Holy Cross hit 48.1 percent of its field goal attempts and 39.1 percent of its three-pointers on the night. Sacred Heart was only able to connect on 43.9 percent of its shots from the floor and 20.0 percent from beyond the arc. The Crusaders also forced the Pioneers to commit 20 turnovers.
Junior guard Patrick Benzan finished the game with 14 points, three rebounds and two assists. Freshman guard Caleb Green added 12 points, three rebounds and two assists, while freshman forward Jacob Grandison chipped in with seven points. Sacred Heart was led by Sean Hoehn with 18 points and five assists.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Charles was selected also as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- In addition to his 23 points, he totaled four rebounds and three assists.
- Charles hit eight of 12 field goal attempts on the night, including three of five shots from three-point range.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The game was close early on, and the Pioneers held an 11-9 lead after the first seven minutes of play.
- The Crusaders then went on a 15-4 run to pull in front (24-15), with Charles scoring 10 points during that spurt.
- Holy Cross eventually took an 11-point lead (36-25) into the locker room at halftime.
- Sacred Heart opened the second half with a 13-3 run, closing the margin to just one point (39-38) with 16 minutes remaining.
- The Crusaders responded by scoring the next seven points, and went on to lead by as many as 12 (58-46).
- Holy Cross was still up by 10 (67-57) at the 2:11-mark, before the Pioneers scored seven straight points to make the score 67-64.
- Sacred Heart had a chance to tie the game with less than 15 seconds remaining, but a three-point attempt by Hoehn was off the mark.
- Benzan then hit both ends of a one-and-one with 4.8 seconds left to secure the win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The Crusaders won their season opener for the fourth time in the last six years, and now stand 69-30 all-time in their first game of the year.
- Holy Cross has won its last three games against Sacred Heart and leads the all-time series 9-5.
- Charles’ 23 points were just one shy of his career high.
- Green's 12 points were the most by a Crusader in his collegiate debut since Cullen Hamilton scored 15 points at Old Dominion in 2012.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Thursday, Nov. 16, when it plays host to Harvard at 7:05 p.m.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Season and single-game tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.