Men's Hockey Prepares For Sacred Heart
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Crusaders will play a home-and-home with Sacred Heart for the second time this season. Holy Cross will face Sacred Heart at Webster Bank Arena on Friday, Jan. 12 and at the Hart Center on Saturday, Jan. 13. Puck drop is at 7:05 p.m. both nights.
• Sacred Heart is the first team that the Crusaders will face for a third time this season. The teams last faced on Dec. 30 and finished in a 5-5 stalemate.
• After two goals, Scott Pooley takes the sole lead in the nation in goals with 18.
• Pooley also leads in power play tallies, with eight.
• Michael Laffin has the second most points on the team (8-10-18). He has recorded nine of those points in the Crusaders’ last five games.
• Paul Berrafato ranks 12th nationally in save percentage (.922).
• The Crusaders hold a 15.5% conversion rate on the power play and are one of only 16 teams to have not allowed a short handed goal against.
• T.J. Moore leads the team in helpers, with 11.
• The Crusaders own the second lowest goals against average in Atlantic Hockey (2.77).
• The team has also scored the second most goals in the league, with 65.
• The Crusaders boast a 4-2-5 record at the Hart Center; Holy Cross owns an unbeaten record at home in league play at 3-1-4.
• Dalton Skelly scored his first goal of the season on Jan. 6. Skelly is the seventh Crusader defenseman to light the lamp this season.
• Nationally, Scott Pooley leads in goals (18) and ranks second in goals/per game (0.82).
• On the power play, Pooley has recorded eight goals, which ranks him first.
• In Atlantic Hockey, the senior forward leads the league in scoring and power play goals.
• Pooley is tied for 18th nationally in points.
• The senior forward leads the Crusaders in points (18-9-27).
Berrafato in Goal
• Paul Berrafato’s .922 save percentage leads Atlantic Hockey while his 2.50 goals against average ranks second.
• In Atlantic Hockey play, Berrafato holds a .926 save percentage.
• His 663 saves marks the most made by any goalie in the league.
• Berrafato has posted shutouts over Bentley, Air Force, and Army.
• With nine career shutouts, Paul Berrafato captured the all-time shutouts record at Holy Cross. Matt Ginn (2011-15) previously held the record with eight shutouts.
• In his career, Berrafato has played 100 games with 88 consecutive starts.
• Of the active goaltenders in the NCAA, Berrafato ranks second with the most consecutive starts.
• The senior netminder also ranks in the top four goaltenders for the biggest save percentage improvement since the 2016-17 season (+.30) as of Nov. 30.
Laffin To Pooley
• Michael Laffin scored four goals and Scott Pooley assisted on each in the Sacred Heart series (Dec. 29-20).
• Laffin fed Pooley in both of his goals in the American International series (Jan. 5-6).
• Johnny Coughlin leads the Crusader defense with 11 points from two goals and nine assists. Coughlin also leads the team in blocked shots (41).
• Spencer Trapp has recorded 10 points and 27 blocks.
• Charlie Barrow, Tommy Muratore, Frank Boie, and Logan Milliken have each contributed with at least three helpers and double digit blocks.
• Seven of the eight defenseman that have seen time this season have scored a goal.
No Laffin Matter
• Michael Laffin ranks second in points on the team with 18. He also ranks second in blocked shots (31).
• Laffin has been apart of eight of the Crusaders’ last 12 goals.
• In the American International series, Laffin had an assist on all three of Holy Cross’ goals.
Scouting The Pioneers
• The Pioneers welcome the Crusaders with an overall record of 5-12-4 and 3-8-4 in Atlantic Hockey play.
• Sacred Heart played a mid-week game against Bentley and claimed their third league win, 4-1.
• On the power play, the Pioneers have recorded 13 power play goals on 88 opportunities for a 14.8% conversion rate.
• The Pioneers’ penalty kill ranks tied for fourth in the league with 81.2% success rate.
Pioneers to Watch
• Marc Johnstone leads the team and the Atlantic Hockey freshman in points with seven goals and 13 assists for 20 points.
• Vito Bavaro leads the team in goals, with 12.
• Austin McIlmurray and Jason Cotton have each recorded a team best three power play goals.
• In net, Brett Magnus leads with an .891 save percentage and 3.70 goals against average.
The Last Time Out: American International
Jan. 5 at American International
Holy Cross Goals: Pooley
AIC Goalie: Stefano Durante (21 saves)
Holy Cross Goalie: Paul Berrafato (25 saves)
Power Play: 1-4
Notes: Spencer Trapp and Michael Laffin each added their eighth assists of the season
Jan. 6 vs. American International
Holy Cross Goals: Skelly, Pooley
AIC Goalie: Stefano Durante (23 saves)
Holy Cross Goalie: Paul Berrafato (32 saves)
Power Play: 1-2
Notes: The Crusaders won 65% of faceoffs (53-81).
• Holy Cross will entertain Niagara for two games at the Hart Center on Jan. 19 and 20. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.