Men's Hockey To Play Canisius on the Road
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Crusaders will travel to Buffalo, N.Y. to face the Golden Griffins for two games in an Atlantic Hockey series. Holy Cross will play Canisius at 7:35 p.m. on Feb. 2 and at 4:35 p.m. on Feb. 3 at the Harborcenter.
• The Crusaders open the weekend in a tie for first place with Canisius, both at 26 points in Atlantic Hockey.
• Paul Berrafato recorded his 10th career shutout and fourth of the season on Jan. 26 in Holy Cross’ 4-0 win over RIT. Berrafato’s fourth shutout ties the Holy Cross single season shutout record.
• T.J. Moore led the Crusaders with five points on the weekend, scoring two goals and adding three assists.
•Kevin Darrar reached the 10-point mark with a four-point weekend. The sophomore forward scored two goals and collected two assists.
• Scott Pooley hit the 30-point mark on Jan. 26 with two assists against RIT.
• Pooley and Michael Laffin have each recorded double digit goals and assists.
• Three Crusaders have posted over 20 points while 10 have hit recorded at least 10 points.
• In the month of January, Danny Lopez and Michael Laffin led the team with eight points in eight games.
• Paul Berrafato has started 94 consecutive games.
• After killing five of five penalties over the RIT series, the Crusaders’ penalty kill success rate is up to 81.9%
• Scott Pooley has been nominated for the Hobey Baker fan ballot. Vote once daily at www.hobeybaker.com/vote.
Pooley for Hobey Baker
• With 31 points, Scott Pooley leads the Crusaders.
• The senior forward has scored the third most goals in the nation, at 18. He also leads Atlantic Hockey in goal scoring.
• Pooley has added 13 assists, which ranks as the second most on the team.
• With 31 points, Pooley ranks third in Atlantic Hockey.
• On the power play, Pooley has totaled 10 points on eight goals and two assists.
• Pooley’s eight power play goals leads the league.
Berrafato in Goal
• Paul Berrafato’s .924 save percentage leads Atlantic Hockey and ranks 13th nationally.
• With a 2.43 goals against average, Berrafato ranks second in the league.
• On Jan. 26, the senior goaltender recorded his 10th career shutout.
• In the Crusaders’ 4-0 win over RIT, Berrafato posted 29 saves to claim his fourth shutout of the year and tie Holy Cross’ all-time single season shutout record.
• Ten Crusaders have recorded double-digit points through 28 games.
• Eight forwards and two defenseman have surpassed the 10-point mark.
• Three Crusaders have reached the 20-point mark.
• Senior forward Danny Lopez ranks third in points for Holy Cross, recording 11 goals and eight assists for 21 points.
• Lopez scored four goals and added three assists in three games to nearly double his points total.
• With two power play goals, Lopez has recorded five points on the power play.
Holy Cross in January
•Through January, Michael Laffin and Danny Lopez led the team each with eight points. Laffin recorded two goals and six assists. Lopez has scored five goals with three assists.
• Paul Berrafato posted a .929 save percentage in eight games to open 2018.
• Seven of the eight defensemen that have seen time this season have scored a goal.
• Spencer Trapp leads the defensive core with 10 assists and three goals for 13 points.
No Laffin Matter
• Michael Laffin ranks second in points on the team with 23. He also ranks second in blocked shots (41).
• Laffin has recorded 14 points in the Crusaders’ last 11 games.
Scouting The Golden Griffins
• Canisius hosts Holy Cross with a 13-11-2 record, and 13-7-0 mark in conference play.
• The Griffins also sit in a tie with the Crusaders for first place in Atlantic Hockey.
• Canisius holds a 22.6% conversion rate on the power play, ranking 11th in the nation.
• In their last three weekends of play, Canisius has split with American International, RIT, and Bentley.
Golden Griffins to Watch
• Junior forward Dylan McLaughlin leads in nearly all aspects of Canisius’ offense. McLaughlin has posted 38 points on 14 goals and 24 assists, with five power play tallies.
• Three goaltenders have seen time in net for the Golden Griffins. Daniel Urbani leads the way with an 11-9-1 record, .910 save percentage, and 2.95 goals against average.
The Last Time Out: RIT
Jan. 26 vs. RIT: W, 4-0
Holy Cross Goals: Moore, Lopez, Laffin, Darrar
Holy Cross Goalie: Paul Berrafato (29 saves)
Power Play: 1-5
Notes: Four different Crusader forwards lit the lamp.
Jan. 27 vs. RIT: L, 3-2
Holy Cross Goals: Moore, Darrar
Holy Cross Goalie: Paul Berrafato (46 saves)
Power Play: 0-4
Notes: Darrar put together a four point weekend, while Moore added five points.
• Holy Cross will travel to Mercyhurst, to take on the Lakers on Feb. 9 and 10 in Erie, Pa. Both games are slated for 7:05 p.m.