Crusaders Set To Host Colgate In First Round Of Patriot League Tournament Saturday
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross women’s basketball team opens play in the Patriot League Tournament on Saturday, as the Crusaders host Colgate in the first round in Worcester. Saturday’s game will be broadcast online via the Patriot League Network on PatriotLeague.TV.
SCOUTING HOLY CROSS
• Holy Cross most recently earned a 65-62 victory over Lehigh on Wednesday night on the road.
• Sophomore Lauren Manis was named First Team All-Patriot League. She leads the Patriot League with 17.9 points per game and ranks fifth in rebounds per game with 8.8.
• Senior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed earned Second Team All-Patriot League honors. She ranks second in the Patriot League in scoring with 16.5 points per game. She notched her 1,000th career point in the win over Vermont with a jump shot in the third quarter, becoming the 33rd player in program history to reach the milestone.
• Freshman Jenay Faulkner earned the first double-double of her career at American with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
• Head Coach Bill Gibbons earned his 600th career victory with the win over Colgate, making him the 21st active Division I coach to reach the milestone.
SERIES QUICK HITS
• The Crusaders are 53-7 all-time against Colgate
• In the last meeting between the two programs, Holy Cross defeated the Radiers 61-52 on Senior Day on Feb. 24.
• The first meeting between these teams took place on Jan. 31, 1991, with the Crusaders earning a 95-72 win in Worcester.
• In games played in Worcester, the Crusaders hold the series edge at 28-2.
• Holy Cross is 5-0 against Colgate in the Patriot League Tournament.
LAST TIME OUT
• Sophomore Lauren Manis posted 17 points as the Holy Cross women’s basketball team defeated Lehigh 65-62 on Wednesday night at Stabler Arena.
• Manis scored 17 points, including 15 in the second half, while adding seven rebounds, four steals and three assists.
• Senior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed added 16 points while posting six rebounds for Holy Cross (12-17, 7-11).
• Senior Tricia Byrne also turned in a strong performance, scoring 11 points with three assists.
• Lehigh (15-14, 9-9) was led by Gena Grundhoffer, who tallied 24 points with nine rebounds.
• Bernadette Devaney also finished the game in double-digits, scoring 16 points while shooting 4-for-7.
• The Crusaders shot 44.2% (23-52) while holding Lehigh to 38.5% (20-52).
• From three-point range, the Mountain Hawks shot 47.8% (11-23) while Holy Cross posted 35.0% (7-20).
• Lehigh was perfect at the free throw line, hitting all 11 attempts, while the Crusaders shot 57.1% (12-21).
• This marked the Crusaders’ first win at Lehigh since Feb. 10, 2013, when Holy Cross defeated the Mountain Hawks 72-66.
SCOUTING REPORT ON COLGATE
• Colgate enters the tournament with a 7-22 overall record, and a 3-15 mark in the Patriot League. They most recently defeated Lafayette on Wednesday night in Hamilton.
• The Raiders are serving as the #10 seed in the Patriot League Tournament.
• Colgate’s offense is led by Summer King, who posted an average of 9.7 points per game on the year while shooting 48.2% from the field.
• King is also the team’s leading rebounder, averaging 7.2 boards per game.
• Head coach Bill Cleary is in his second season with Colgate.
• The winner of Saturday’s first round game will head to Bucknell for the quarterfinal round on Monday, March 5.
Tickets for the first round game with Colgate can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.