Men's Hockey Set for Atlantic Hockey Quarterfinals
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Crusaders will play in the Atlantic Hockey Quarterfinal as the three-seeded team. Holy Cross will host seven-seeded Robert Morris for a three-game series at the Hart Center on March 9-11. Each game is slated for 7:05 p.m.
• Holy Cross finished in third place in the Atlantic Hockey standings with 30 points.
• As the three-seed in the Atlantic Hockey Tournament, Holy Cross secured a first round bye in the playoffs and are set to host seven-seed Robert Morris in the quarterfinals.
• The Crusaders have a 0-1-1 record against the Colonials in the 2017-18 season. The teams have not faced since November 3-4 and have only faced off twice.
• With 12 wins in Atlantic Hockey action, Holy Cross captured the most wins since 2015-16 season when the team won 16 league games.
• After scoring eight goals in his freshman and sophomore seasons, Michael Laffin tallied his 13th goal on Feb. 22 to lift Holy Cross past American International for the first time this season.
• Paul Berrafato recorded his fifth shutout of the 2017-18 season in the Crusaders final regular season game, capturing the single-season shutout record at Holy Cross.
• Scott Pooley enters the game with 97 career points from 51 goals and 46 assists in his carrer. The senior forward leads the Crusaders in the 2017-18 season with 33 points from 18 goals and 15 assists.
• Spencer Trapp leads the Crusaders defensive unit with 15 points on three goals and 12 assists.
Pooley At Forward
• With 33 points, Scott Pooley leads the Crusaders.
• He also ranks ninth in Atlantic Hockey in points and second in goal scoring with 18.
• On the power play, Pooley has totaled 12 points on eight goals and four assists.
• Pooley’s eight power play goals ranks fouth in the league.
Berrafato in Goal
• Paul Berrafato’s .920 save percentage ranks second in Atlantic Hockey.
• In the 2017-18 season, Berrafato captured the single season and the all-time shutout record at Holy Cross.
• Berrafato’s performance through his senior season earned him a spot on the All-Atlantic Hockey first team.
66th Walter Brown Award
• Paul Berrafato and Scott Pooley are among 14 other semifinalists to be nominated for the 66th Walter Brown Award.
• Holy Cross is one of only four schools to have multiple nominees.
• Four Crusaders hit the 20-point mark through regular season action, including one Crusader
• Eleven Crusaders have reached double-digit points on the 2017-18 season.
• T.J. Moore leads Holy Cross with helpers, with 22.
• Prior to the 2017-18 season, the most assists Moore has recorded was 13 in his sophomore and junior seasons.
Power Play Production
• The Crusaders have tallied 21 power play goals, coming from eight different players.
No Laffin Matter
• Michael Laffin ranks second in points on the team with 28. He also ranks second in blocked shots (43).
• Laffin has recorded 18 points in the Crusaders’ last 16 games.
Scouting The Colonials
• To finish the regular season the Colonials went 0-5-1 in their final six games to finish as the seventh-seed in the Atlantic Hockey Tournament.
• In the First Round, Robert Morris defeated Bentley in three games.
• Robert Morris holds an 18.3% conversion rate on the power play and a 78.5% success rate on the penalty kill.
• On the road the Colonials have played to a 6-10-0 record.
Colonials to Watch
• Brady Ferguson leads the Colonials and Atlantic Hockey with 42 points in 37 games played. Ferguson has tallied 14 goals and 28 assists.
• Alex Tonge has put up 41 points with 16 goals and 25 assists.
• Francis Marotte leads between the pipes for Robert Morris, with a .913 save percentage and 2.46 goals against average.
The Last Time Out: AIC
Feb. 22 vs. AIC
Holy Cross Goalie: Paul Berrafato (31 saves)
Power Play: 0-1
Notes: Laffin and Coughlin scored for the Crusaders.
• If the Crusaders win the Quarterfinal series they will travel to Rochester for the Atlantic Hockey Championship weekend on March 16-17.