Volleyball Defeats Manhattan; Falls To Brown
WORCESTER, MASS. – The Holy Cross volleyball team defeated Manhattan, 3-0 (25-20, 25-14, 25-22), and fell to Brown 3-1 (25-21, 26-24, 16-25, 25-20) on the final day of the Holy Cross Invitational at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex. Freshman outside hitter Katie Kerins and freshman middle blocker Clare Honan were each named to the All-Tournament team. This is the second straight week that Kerins has been selected to an All-Tournament team as she also earned the honor at the St. John’s Jack Kaiser Classic. The Crusaders went 2-1 in the tournament placing second while Brown went a perfect 3-0.
Holy Cross 3 | Manhattan 0
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kerins led the Crusaders with 19 kills (.316 hitting percentage). She has recorded double-digit kills in five out of her first six collegiate matches.
- Honan tallied nine kills and two digs.
- Junior middle hitter Kristen Somerville registered five blocks.
- Senior libero M.C. Magner led the team with 10 digs and has 1,113 career digs, which now moves her to seventh overall in program history.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Crusaders won six out of the last 10 points including a kill on set point by Somerville to secure a 25-20 victory in the opening frame.
- Holy Cross controlled the second set posting a .300 hitting percentage and earning a 25-14 victory. Kerins led the team with six kills (.400 hitting percentage).
- With the third set tied 21-21, the Crusaders took four out of the last five points to clinch the match with a 25-22 third set victory. Kerins was outstanding with nine kills in the third set.
Brown 3 | Holy Cross 1
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Freshman setter Kathleen Philo posted 31 assists and 13 digs for her third career double-double.
- Kerins notched 18 kills and eight digs.
- Freshman outside hitter Emmerson Smith had 10 kills and nine digs.
- Honan posted a career high seven blocks and nine kills.
- Holy Cross will travel to Providence R.I. for the Friar Classic. The first match of the tournament is Friday, Sept. 8 at 8:15 p.m against Providence.
2017 Holy Cross Invitational All-Tournament Team
Gabrielle Moriconi, Brown
Elisa Merten, Brown
Eliza Grover, Brown
Katie Kerins, Holy Cross
Clare Honan, Holy Cross
Taylor Wyckoff, Fairleigh Dickinson
Erin Hoener, Manhattan
MVP: Eliza Grover