Holy Cross Set To Take On #20 Boston University In Patriot League Semifinals
|Holy Cross (7-10, 3-3 Patriot League) vs. #20 Boston University (11-7, 6-0 Patriot League)|
|Boston, Mass. // New Balance Field|
|Friday, Nov. 3||12:00 p.m.||Click Here||Click Here|
|Series Record: BU leads 1-19-0||Last Meeting: BU 8, HC 1 (10/13/2017)|
SCOUTING HOLY CROSS
- The Crusaders concluded the regular season with a 7-10 record and a 3-3 mark in Patriot League play.
- Holy Cross closed the season with a 4-1 victory over Patriot League foe Lafayette on the road, securing the final spot in the conference tournament for the Crusaders.
- Holy Cross also earned conference victories over Lehigh (5-1) and Colgate (4-0).
- The Crusaders are making their second-straight appearance in the Patriot League Tournament. Last year the team earned its first berth in the postseason since 2006.
FACING ELITE COMPETITION
- This season, the Crusaders have faced five nationally-ranked programs.
- Holy Cross opened its 2017 slate against #22 Massachusetts and #18 Albany. The team also hosted #14 Harvard before taking on a pair of ranked Patriot League opponents in #25 American and #23 Boston University.
SERIES QUICK HITS
- The Crusaders are 1-19-0 all-time against Boston University.
- This is the first time the Crusaders have faced the Terriers in the Patriot League Tournament.
- In games played in Boston, BU holds the series edge at 10-0.
- Holy Cross earned its lone victory over the Terriers on Oct. 22, 1982, when the Crusaders defeated BU 1-0 in Worcester.
THE TOURNAMENT FIELD
- #4 Holy Cross takes on #1 Boston University in the opening game of the Patriot League Tournament. #2 American will then face #3 Bucknell at 3:00 p.m. in the second semifinal matchup Friday afternoon.
- The two winners of the semifinals will then face each other on Sunday, Nov. 5 at 12:00 p.m. for the Patriot League Championship.
CONNOLLY LEADING THE OFFENSE
- Senior forward Maureen Connolly has had another stellar season offensively for the Crusaders. During the regular season, she broke the Holy Cross record for points in a single season with 47. She has also tied the record for single-season goals at 19.
- Connolly has been among the top scorers in the nation throughout the year. She is currently tied fourth in Division I with 2.76 points per game and ranks fifth in Division I with 1.12 goals per game.
- In her career, she has amassed 123 points on 50 goals and 23 assists. Her career points and goals both currently rank second all-time in program history.
- Connolly also led the Patriot League with five game-winning goals on the season.
THREE NAMED ALL-PATRIOT LEAGUE
- Senior Maureen Connolly, senior Rachel Lapar and junior Emily Loprete earned All-Patriot League honors for the 2017 season. Connolly and Loprete were both named First Team All-Patriot League, while Lapar was named Second Team All-Patriot League.
- Connolly made her third-straight appearance on the All-Patriot League roster, earning first team honors each of the last three seasons. Loprete was named All-Patriot League for the second-straight year after earning second team honors last season, and Lapar made her first career appearance on the All-Patriot League roster.
LaPLANTE SHINING IN NET
- Sophomore goalkeeper Marcia LaPlante has put together another strong season in net for the Crusaders. She has started in every game for Holy Cross this season, posting a .751 save percentage with a 3.07 goals against average.
- LaPlante finished the regular season ranked second in the Patriot League in save percentage and saves per game (9.24).
- Last season, LaPlante was named the Patriot League’s Goalkeeper of the Year and Rookie of the Year after walking on to the program shortly after the start of the 2016 season.
- In 2016, she held the highest save percentage in all of Division I at .817.
LOPRETE POSTS CAREER HIGHS
- Junior Emily Loprete has had a career season offensively for the Crusaders, posting a career-high 22 points off nine goals and four assists.
- Loprete finished the regular season ranked sixth in the Patriot League with 1.29 points per game and seventh with .529 goals per game.
- In her career, Loprete has totaled 60 points on 26 goals and eight assists.
JACKSON LEADING CRUSADERS’ SUCCESS
- Since taking over as head coach in 2015, Lindsay Jackson has led the Holy Cross field hockey program to success.
- In her three years, the Crusaders have posted a 24-30 overall record, and an 8-10 mark in the Patriot League regular season.
- Last season she coached the team to its first Patriot League Tournament berth since 2006.
HOLY CROSS IN THE PATRIOT LEAGUE TOURNAMENT
- Holy Cross is 10-10 all-time in the Patriot League Tournament.
- The Crusaders captured the Patriot League Championship in 1997, 1998 and 200.
- Holy Cross is 7-6 all-time in semifinal games, and 3-4 in the conference title game.
- Last season, Holy Cross was eliminated by American in the semifinals by a score of 1-0.