Men's Hockey Skates to 2-2 Tie at Army
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross men’s hockey team skated to their fifth tie of the season with a two goal push in the third period. The Crusaders allowed a power play goal less than five minutes into the game. Despite trailing for the remainder of the first period and entire second period, the Crusaders continued to battle with the Black Knights and remained even in shots.
The Holy Cross offense broke open when Scott Pooley scored just over two minutes into the third stanza. The Crusaders responded with a go-ahead goal from Danny Lopez five minutes later, but could not maintain the one goal lead. Army scored with nine minutes remaining to force the game into overtime.
Holy Cross held the advantage in the five-minute overtime, with three shots to Army’s two. Paul Berrafato finished with 22 saves to keep the game tied at 2-2 and earn another league point.
Score: Holy Cross 2 | Army 2
Location: West Point, N.Y. | Tate Rink
Date: Friday, Nov. 17, 2017
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Records: Holy Cross (4-2-5, 3-1-5 AHC) | Army (6-4-1, 6-4-1 AHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1-0 USMA (1st, 4:32, PP): Along the outside of the crease, Army’s Michael Wilson picked up a rebound from a point shot and beat Berrafato on the near post.
1-1 HC (3rd, 2:03, EV): Will Brophy kept the puck in the offensive zone and moved it down for Ryan Ferrill and Scott Pooley to cycle in the corner. After Ferrill dropped the puck to Pooley in the corner, Pooley sent the puck into the slot where it deflected into the goal.
2-1 HC (3rd, 7:21, EV): T.J. Moore rushed the zone and dumped the puck to himself in the corner and then found Peter Crinella in the slot. Crinella dropped a pass to Danny Lopez at the top of the hash marks. Lopez’s shot hit the back bar of the net.
2-2 USMA (3rd, 11:23, EV): Dominic Franco wrapped around the goal and sent a bouncing backhander into the slot that just crossed over the goal line.
- Will Brophy’s assist is his first point of the season.
- Ryan Ferrill’s assist is his third point in as many games.
- Scott Pooley continues to lead the league in scoring, with his 11th goal in his 11th game of the season.
- With the 2-2 tie, the Crusaders have now played in overtime six times in 11 games. It is the fifth time they have played a 65 minute game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Holy Cross recorded 30 shots on goal while Army tallied 24.
- Paul Berrafato made 22 saves to Army’s Cole Bruns’ 28 saves.
- The Crusaders went 0-3 on the power play and Army was 1-1.
- Holy Cross blocked 15 shots, led by Charlie Barrow (3).
- The Crusaders will complete the Atlantic Hockey series with the Black Knights on Nov. 18 at 7:05 p.m. at Tate Rink.
BE PART OF THE ACTION THIS SEASON
- To purchase tickets for the 2017-2018 Holy Cross men's hockey season, call 1-844-GOCROSS or visit GoHolyCross.com/Tickets.