Men's Basketball Falls To Albany
WORCESTER, Mass. – Albany’s Joe Cremo scored 30 points to lead the Great Danes to a 78-62 victory over the Holy Cross men’s basketball team at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex. The Crusaders fall to 2-3 on the season with the loss, while Albany improves to 6-0 overall.
The Great Danes made 53.4 percent of their field goal attempts and 47.6 percent of their three-pointers on the day, in addition to holding a 32-23 rebounding advantage. Holy Cross was able to connect on 50.0 percent of its shots from the floor, but just 27.8 percent from behind the arc.
Junior forward Karl Charles led the Crusaders with 16 points and two assists. Junior guard Patrick Benzan added 13 points and two boards, while junior forward Jehyve Floyd finished with 10 points, four rebounds and three blocks.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Charles was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- He hit three of eight field goal attempts, two of four three-pointers and eight of 10 free throws in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Albany started the game with a quick 7-2 run, and was later up by five (13-8) with 13:37 left in the first half.
- The Great Danes then used an 11-3 spurt to increase their lead to 13 (24-11) at the 10:22-mark.
- Holy Cross was able to close to within five points late in the half, before Albany took a 43-35 advantage into the locker room.
- The scored stayed close early in the second half, and the Crusaders trailed by just five (61-56) with 6:55 left to play.
- The Great Danes then went on a 12-2 run over the next 5:13 to put the game away, and eventually posted a 16-point victory.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Floyd has now scored in double-figures in four straight games, after reaching double-digits only once in his first two seasons combined.
- Freshman forward Jacob Grandison scored a career-high nine points.
- Cremo scored the 1,000th point of his collegiate career for Albany.
- Holy Cross returns to action next Friday and Saturday, Dec. 1 and 2, when it takes part in the Basketball Hall of Fame Belfast Classic in Belfast, Northern Ireland. All games from the Basketball Hall of Fame Belfast Classic will be shown live on the CBS Sports Network.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Season and single-game tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.