Men's Hockey Edges RIT, 4-2
ROCHESTER, N.Y. – The Holy Cross men’s hockey team skated to its sixth win of the season as they scored two late goals to defeat RIT, 4-2.
The Crusaders opened the game with a quick goal from Johnny Coughlin at 1:38 of the first period. RIT recorded 12 shots in the first period and each one Paul Berrafato turned aside, including a shorthanded breakaway attempt. The Tigers evened the score (1-1) in the second period on a power play and continued to outshoot the Crusaders, 8-5.
The third period saw a lot of action as the Crusaders took the lead early but then RIT evened the score with less than five minutes remaining regulation. Brett Mulcahy scored his third game-winner with under two minutes to play and Mitch Collett added an empty-netter.
Score: Holy Cross 4 | Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) 2
Location: Rochester, N.Y. | Gene Polisseni Center
Date: Friday, Dec. 1, 2017
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Records: Holy Cross (6-4-6, 5-1-5 AHC) | RIT (6-6-1, 6-3-0 AHC)
HOW IT HAPPENED:
1-0 HC (1st, 1:38, EV): While rushing into the Crusaders’ offensive zone, Johnny Coughlin fired a puck off of the pads of RIT’s Logan Drackett, proceeded to pick up his own rebound and slip the puck over the goal line. Scott Pooley picked up an assist on the play.
1-1 RIT (2nd, 8:46, PP): Erik Brown tapped in a feed from below the faceoff circle.
2-1 HC (3rd, 1:08, EV): Danny Lopez scored on Drackett’s five-hole after collecting a bouncing puck and evading the RIT defense in the slot. Johhny Coughlin chipped the puck up the boards in the neutral zone and Peter Crinella fed Lopez crashing in the slot from just below the blue line.
2-2 RIT (3rd, 15:44, EV): Abbott Girduckis was alone in the slot and cashed in on a one-timer from a pass from below the goal line.
3-2 HC (3rd, 18:31, EV): After a kick save from Berrafato, Mitch Collett picked up the puck in the slot and broke out of the zone to begin a two-on-one. Collett fed Brett Mulcahy above the right faceoff dot and faked a slap shot that allowed for a five-hole goal.
4-2 HC (3rd, 19:55, EN): Mitch Collett sent a puck from just over the red line into the open net as he was checked into the boards.
- Johnny Coughlin’s goal marks the second consecutive game that the Crusaders tallied a goal in the opening two minutes of play.
- Coughlin put up two points (1-1-2) for the first time since the Crusaders’ Oct. 21 5-0 win over Bentley.
- Danny Lopez’s goal is his fourth tally and fifth point in his last six games.
- Brett Mulcahy has tallied a point in his last three games (1-2-3). Mulcahy’s goal served as the game-winner and is his third of the season.
- Coughlin and Mitch Collett led the Crusaders, each posting one goal and one assist.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- RIT outshot Holy Cross (36-18).
- Paul Berrafato recorded 34 saves.
- The Crusaders went 3-4 on the penalty kill.
The Crusaders will complete the weekend at RIT on Saturday, Dec. 2 at 7:05 p.m.
BE PART OF THE ACTION THIS SEASON
To purchase tickets for the 2017-2018 Holy Cross men's hockey season, call 1-844-GOCROSS or visit GoHolyoCross.com/Tickets.