Byrne Adds 19 As Holy Cross Downs Colgate In Patriot League Opener, 71-64
HAMILTON, N.Y. – Senior Tricia Byrne led the Holy Cross women’s basketball team with a career-high 19 points while adding 5 rebounds and three steals, as the Crusaders defeated Colgate 71-64 in their first Patriot League game of the season.
Senior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed added 14 points for Holy Cross (6-6, 1-0) and added six rebounds while shooting 10-for-12 from the free throw line. Senior Katie Doherty posted a season-high 13 points while shooting 5-for-10 from the field. Colgate (4-8, 0-1) was led by Summer King and Kateri Stone, who each netted 12 points for the Raiders.
Colgate shot 44.9% (22-for-49) from the field, while Holy Cross hit 29.0% (18-for-62) of its shots. The Crusaders were 28-for-36 (77.8%) at the charity stripe as the Raiders hit 16 of 26 (61.5%) of their free throws. Colgate had the edge in rebounding, 41-36.
WOMAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES
- Following the game, Byrne was selected as the Woman of the Match presented the United States Marines.
- She scored a career-high 19 points while adding five rebounds and three steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams battled back-and-forth throughout the first quarter, with the lead changing five times. Thomas-Waheed hit a last-second layup to give Holy Cross a 20-18 lead after 10 minutes.
- The Crusaders led by as many as eight points in the second quarter, and headed to the locker room at halftime up 34-28.
- After Colgate took the lead early in the third, Holy Cross posted an 11-0 run to gain a nine-point advantage. They led the Raiders 50-44 at the end of the quarter.
- In the fourth, Colgate came within one point of the Crusaders, but Holy Cross was able to hold on to its advantage and secured the 71-64 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Colgate committed 23 turnovers, while Holy Cross only made 11.
- The Crusaders added 29 points off turnovers, while holding the Raiders to just five.
- Holy Cross held the lead for 31:52 of playing time.
- Holy Cross returns to action Tuesday, Jan. 2 as the Crusaders play host to Lafayette at 7:05 p.m.
As the calendar year ends, we ask you to help Holy Cross Athletics maintain its forward momentum by supporting the Crusader Athletics Fund. To make your gift, visit GoHolyCross.com/caf
or call (877) 433-1843.