Holy Cross Suffers 77-56 Setback At Bucknell
LEWISBURG, Pa. – Zach Thomas totaled 18 points and six rebounds to lead Bucknell to a 77-56 victory over the Holy Cross men’s basketball team at Sojka Pavilion. The Crusaders fall to 5-14 on the season and 2-6 in the Patriot League with the loss, while the Bison improve to 13-8 overall and 7-1 in the conference.
Bucknell hit 44.3 percent of its field goal attempts and 72.7 percent of its free throws on the day, while holding a 43-36 rebounding advantage. Holy Cross was only able to connect on 35.6 percent of its shots from the floor and 52.6 percent of its attempts at the charity stripe.
Freshman guard Austin Butler and freshman forward Jacob Grandison led the Crusaders with 13 points each. Junior forward Karl Charles added nine points and five rebounds, while junior forward Jehyve Floyd finished with eight points.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Grandison was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- In addition to his 13 points, he totaled nine rebounds and two assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Bison led 10-7 after the first seven minutes of play, before going on a 10-3 run to extend the margin to double figures (20-10).
- Holy Cross had closed to within six points (20-14) with 6:58 remaining in the half, when Bucknell scored 10 straight points to go in front by 16 (30-14).
- The Bison eventually took a 36-19 advantage into the locker room at halftime.
- In the second half, Bucknell used spurts of 10-2 and 7-0 to build its lead up to 29 points (66-37 with 8:24 remaining).
- The Crusaders would get no closer than 21 points the rest of the way, as the Bison earned a 77-56 win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Grandison tied his career high with nine rebounds.
- Holy Cross’ 36 rebounds were its most in a single game this season.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Monday, Jan. 22, when it travels to American for a 7:00 p.m. game. The contest between the Crusaders and the Eagles will be shown live to a national audience on the CBS Sports Network.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don't miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.