Crusaders Edged By Bulldogs
SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Holy Cross volleyball team lost to Bryant University 3-0 (25-23, 25-16, 25-23) Tuesday, Sept. 12. Freshman outside hitter Katie Kerins led the Crusaders with 10 kills. The Bulldogs have won 10 straight home matches going 28-3 at the Chace Athletic Center since the start of 2015.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was tight with 14 ties and seven lead changes. The Crusaders tied the set 20-20 after a kill by junior middle hitter Kristen Somerville. The Bulldogs went on to win the first set 25-23.
- Bryant controlled the second set and sealed it 25-16.
- Holy Cross fought back in the third set after being down 13-5 and tied the set 20-20 after a kill by middle blocker Clare Honan. Junior middle blocker Allie Barry had two kills to help the Crusaders keep the set close at 24-23, but the Bulldogs pulled away and won the set 25-23, taking the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kerins notched 10 kills for her seventh match with double-digit kills on the season.
- Somerville recorded six blocks for the Crusaders’ defense.
- Freshman libero Sophie VanSeveren had 27 digs in the match.
- Honan tallied eight kills and five blocks.
The Crusaders travel to compete in the George Washington Invitational Sept. 15-16. Their first match is against George Washington Friday, Sept. 15 at 10 a.m in Washington, D.C.