Women's Basketball Heads To Boston University On Saturday
|Holy Cross (8-19, 6-10) vs. Boston University (11-16, 9-7)|
|Date / Time:||February 25, 2017 / 2:00 p.m.|
|Arena:||Case Gym (1,800)|
|Series:||Holy Cross leads, 14-4|
|Last Meeting:||Boston U. 66, Holy Cross 49 on 12/30/16|
|Radio:||Emmanuel Radio, 1230 AM/970 AM
Bob Fouracre, play-by-play
|Live Stats:||Sidearm Live Stats|
|Notes:||Holy Cross | Boston University|
|HC Links:||Tickets | Shop|
|Social Media:||Facebook | Twitter|
SETTING THE STAGE
• The Holy Cross women’s basketball team continues its Patriot League slate on Saturday, as the Crusaders travel to Boston University to take on the Terriers at 2:00 p.m.
• Saturday’s game can be heard on Emmanuel Radio (1230 AM) with Bob Fouracre on play-by-play, and can be viewed online on the Patriot League Network.
• The game is part of the Turnpike Trophy rivalry series between Holy Cross and Boston University, a season-long competition which is decided by points gained from a victory or higher finish in each contest featuring the Crusaders and Terriers during the athletic season.
• This will be the 19th all-time meeting between the Crusaders and the Terriers, with Holy Cross holding the series edge at 14-4.
• The Crusaders won the first-ever meeting between the two programs, 48-37, during the 1975-1976 season.
• In the last meeting between the two teams, Boston University defeated Holy Cross by a score of 66-49 on Dec. 30 earlier this season in Worcester.
• The Crusaders are 5-2 against the Terriers in games played in Boston.
LAST TIME OUT
• Freshman forward Lauren Manis led the Crusaders with 22 points, five steals, seven rebounds and three blocks.
• Junior guard Tricia Byrne scored 11 points and led Holy Cross with three assists.
• The Greyhounds started out with a strong offensive showing in the first quarter, as Betz-White led with 10 of Loyola’s 15 points.
• Holy Cross posted a 6-0 scoring run late in the second quarter to help make it a two point game (28-26) as the teams headed to their locker rooms at the half.
• Byrne helped give Holy Cross its first lead of the game with a layup at 4:54 of the third quarter.
• The Crusaders outscored the greyhounds 19-13 in the third to give them a 45-41 lead heading into the final quarter.
• The lead would change seven times down the stretch in the fourth quarter, with neither team leading by more than three points.
• With three seconds remaining, Ganser picked up an offensive rebound off a blocked shot from Manis under the basket and scored the game-winning layup, making it 59-58 Holy Cross.
• Holy Cross was picked to finish fourth in the 2016-2017 Patriot League preseason poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors.
• The Crusaders are 8-19 on the season with a 6-10 mark in Patriot League play.
• Junior guard Infiniti Thomas-Waheed, who was selected to the Patriot League All-Defensive Team in 2015-2016, has scored in double figures in 18 games this season, while leading the Crusaders in scoring 12 times.
• She earned Crusader of the Week honors on Jan. 16 after posting a double-double against Lehigh and 20 points at Lafayette.
• Freshman guard Madalyn Smith notched a new career-high with 16 points against American.
• Junior guard Tricia Byrne registered new career-highs with 18 points and nine assists against Lafayette.
• Freshman forward Lauren Manis has led Holy Cross in rebounding 14 times this season, and ranks fourth in the Patriot League with 7.6 rebounds per game.
• Manis notched her seventh double-double of the season at American, notching 19 points with a career-high 14 rebounds.
• She notched a new career-high with 25 points against Navy on Jan. 28 to earn her Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors for the third time this season.
• Holy Cross ranks second in the Patriot League in blocks per game with 4.0.
SCOUTING REPORT ON BOSTON UNIVERSITY
• Boston University is coming off a 64-52 loss to Army West Point on Wednesday night.
• The Terriers enter Friday afternoon’s game with an overall record of 11-16 on the season and a 9-7 mark in Patriot League play.
• The Terriers have gone 3-2 in their last five games.
• Sophie Beaudry leads the Terriers in scoring this season, averaging 12.8 points per game.
• Beaudry is also the leading rebounder for Boston U., with an average of 6.1 boards per game.
• Head coach Katy Steding is currently in her third season with the Terriers.
• Boston U. went 3-27 last season with a 3-15 mark in Patriot League play. They were eliminated by American in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament.
• Boston University made its first appearance in the NCAA Tournament in 2003.
• Holy Cross returns to action on Wednesday, March 1, as the Crusaders host Loyola in their regular season finale at 7:05 p.m.
• The game will be broadcast online via the Patriot League Network at PatriotLeague.TV.
BE PART OF THE ACTION THIS SEASON
• Single-game tickets and mini plans to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.
STAY CONNECTED• For everything Holy Cross women’s basketball, follow the team on Twitter (@HCrossWBB), on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also subscribe for email alerts for all news and information on the team by clicking here.