Women's Basketball Hosts Loyola In Regular Season Finale Wednesday
SETTING THE STAGE
- The Holy Cross women’s basketball team continues its Patriot League slate on Wednesday, as the Crusaders play host to Loyola (Md.) at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex at 7:05 p.m.
- Wednesday’s game will be broadcast on Charter TV3, and can also be viewed via the Patriot League Network on PatriotLeague.TV.
- This will be the 10th all-time meeting between the Crusaders and the Greyhounds, with Holy Cross holding the series edge at 5-4.
- In games played in Worcester, the series is tied at 2-2.
- In the last meeting, the Crusaders defeated Loyola by a score of 59-58 in Baltimore last Wednesday.
- Holy Cross won the first-ever meeting between the two programs on Jan. 17, 1990 by a score of 82-50 in Worcester.
LAST TIME OUT
- Junior guard Tricia Byrne led the Crusaders with 16 points while adding five steals and two assists.
- Freshman forward Lauren Manis and freshman guard Madalyn Smith also scored in double figures for Holy Cross with 13 and 11 points, respectively.
- The Terriers got off to a strong start, notching the first eight points of the game.
- Boston University outscored the Crusaders 18-11 through the first quarter of play.
- The Terriers maintained their lead throughout the third quarter, posting 18 points as they took a 36-26 advantage into halftime.
- Holy Cross responded with an 8-2 run to start the second half, and outscored Boston University 17-13 in the third quarter.
- The Crusaders got within six points in the fourth quarter, but could not come any closer as the Terriers posted 19 points in the final frame.
- Holy Cross was picked to finish fourth in the 2016-2017 Patriot League preseason poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors.
- The Crusaders are 8-20 on the season with a 6-11 mark in Patriot League play. They have secured the No. 7 seed for the Patriot League Tournament, and will host Lafayette in the first round on Saturday, March 4.
- Junior guard Infiniti Thomas-Waheed, who was selected to the Patriot League All-Defensive Team in 2015-2016, has scored in double figures in 18 games this season, while leading the Crusaders in scoring 12 times.
- Freshman guard Madalyn Smith notched a new career-high with 16 points against American.
- Junior guard Tricia Byrne registered new career-highs with 18 points and nine assists against Lafayette.
- Freshman forward Lauren Manis has led Holy Cross in rebounding 14 times this season, and ranks fourth in the Patriot League with 7.6 rebounds per game.
- Manis notched her seventh double-double of the season at American, notching 19 points with a career-high 14 rebounds.
- She notched a new career-high with 25 points against Navy on Jan. 28 to earn her Patriot League Rookie of the Week honors for the third time this season.
- Holy Cross ranks second in the Patriot League in blocks per game with 4.0.
SCOUTING REPORT ON LOYOLA
- The Greyhounds are coming off a 66-59 loss at American on Saturday afternoon.
- Loyola enters Wednesday night’s game with a 9-19 record, including a 5-12 mark in Patriot League play.
- Bri Betz-White leads the Greyhounds’ offense, averaging 15.3 points per game while shooting 41.3 percent on the season.
- Stephanie Karcz is currently Loyola’s leading rebounder, averaging 6.2 boards per game.
- Head coach Joe Logan is currently in his 12th season with the Greyhounds.
- Loyola has lost eight straight games heading into Wednesday night’s contest.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Saturday, March 4, as the Crusaders host Lafayette in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament at 1:05 p.m.
- The game will be broadcast online via the Patriot League Network at PatriotLeague.TV.
Make sure to visit the Holy Cross Team Shop during Wednesday’s women’s basketball game against Loyola, to receive 10 percent off the Item of the Game!
BE PART OF THE ACTION
- Tickets for Wednesday night's game and the Crusaders' Patriot League Tournament game against Lafayette this Saturday are on sale now. Make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.
• For everything Holy Cross women’s basketball, follow the team on Twitter (@HCrossWBB), on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also subscribe for email alerts for all news and information on the team by clicking here.