Field Hockey Edged By #25 American 3-2 On Saturday
|Shots on Goal||4||11|
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Holy Cross field hockey team came up short to #25 American on Saturday afternoon on the road. The Crusaders got off to a quick start offensively, as senior Maureen Connolly put them up 1-0 in the 8th minute with an unassisted tally. Holy Cross added pressure as junior Emily Loprete scored off a cross pass from classmate Suzanne Noone in the 19th minute. Despite being outshot 6-4 in the first half, the Crusaders took a 2-0 lead into halftime.
American responded with a strong push in the second half, adding their first goal of the game in the 51st minute off a penalty corner. The Eagles then tied the game up in the 58th minute, as Noor Coenen found the back of the net after gaining the ball through a scramble in front of the net. In the 63rd minute, Rafaela Rubas scored on a penalty stroke for the game-winning goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Eagles outshot Holy Cross 21-7.
- Sophomore Marcia LaPlante made eight saves for the Crusaders.
- Maura Jacobs stopped a pair of shots on goal for American.
- Loprete led the Crusaders with two shots.
- The Crusaders return to action on Sunday, Oct. 8, as they travel to Columbia for a 12:00 p.m. game.