Crusaders Host BU In Turnpike Trophy Game; Play At American
|Game 16: HOLY CROSS (5-7-3, 1-2-3 PL) vs. BOSTON UNIVERSITY (5-6-2, 1-3-2 PL)|
|DATE:||Wed., Oct. 26 at 7:05 p.m.||LOCATION:||Worcester, Mass.|
|SERIES RECORD:||BU leads, 10-2-4||LAST MEETING:||1-0, BU (Oct. 28, 2015)|
|LIVE STATS:||NeuLion Stats||LIVE VIDEO:||Patriot League Network|
|Game 17: HOLY CROSS (5-7-3, 1-2-3 PL) at AMERICAN (8-5-3, 5-1-0 PL)|
|DATE:||Sun., Oct. 30 at 1:00 p.m.||LOCATION:||Washington, D.C.|
|SERIES RECORD:||HC leads, 8-6-1||LAST MEETING:||1-0, AU (Nov. 1, 2015)|
|LIVE STATS:||Presto||LIVE VIDEO:||Patriot League Network|
The Holy Cross men’s soccer team will play two key Patriot League games this week versus Boston University and American. Here is what you need to know as the Crusaders pursue a spot in the Patriot League Tournament.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The Crusaders return to action on Wednesday, Oct. 26, when they host Boston University in a Turnpike Trophy match up at 7:05 p.m. Boston University leads the all-time series 10-2-4. Last year, Holy Cross fell to Boston University, 2-1, on Oct. 28. The Terriers are 5-6-2 so far this year with a 1-3-2 record in the Patriot League and are in ninth place with five points.
- The Crusaders will then travel to Washington, D.C. to take on first-place American on Sunday, Oct. 30, at 1:00 p.m. Holy Cross is 8-6-1 all-time versus American. The Eagles won last year’s contest with a 1-0 overtime victory. The Eagles, who play Navy on Oct. 26, are 8-5-3 this season with a 5-1-0 Patriot League record and are in first place with 15 points.
- The Crusaders are 5-2-1 at home so far this season.
- Holy Cross is tied for seventh in the Patriot League standings with five points and are one point out of sixth place. The top six teams qualify for the Patriot League Tournament. Go here to view the standings.
- Senior Joey DeVivo has scored 23 career goals as he is tied for seventh all-time in program history.
- Head Coach Marco Koolman discusses this week’s key games. “The teams know better than anyone else how important these games are and what is on the line. If we play as hard as we have been than that will be a positive for us. We have to focus on our strengths and build from there. As long as we continue to play as a team we will achieve success.”
- This athletic series between the Crusaders and Terriers awards points for all head-to-head victories in both the regular season and postseason, with the Turnpike Trophy going to the school that accumulates the most points at the end of the academic year.
- Boston University holds a 2-0 lead in the season series after the Terriers won in women’s soccer (Oct. 19) and field hockey (Oct. 25). The Turnpike Trophy competition continues on Oct. 29, as both the cross country teams compete at the Patriot League Championship in Easton, Pa. For the schedule of the Turnpike Trophy games go here.
AROUND THE WORLD WITH ARNO:
- Check out a story about junior Arno Rupp and his amazing journey from Austrian ski champion, to a member of the European Youth Parliament and to a Crusader.
- Go here for the story.
VILLANO LEADING CRUSADERS:
- Senior Matt Villano leads the Crusaders with six goals, four assists and 16 points. His three game-winning goals are second in the Patriot League. His 16 points are fourth in the league and his six goals and four assists are tied for fifth.
- For his career, Villano has eight goals and five assists for 21 points.