Crusaders To Host Loyola Maryland On Senior Day
|Game 18: HOLY CROSS (5-9-3, 1-4-3 PL) vs. LOYOLA MARYLAND (7-6-3, 5-1-2 PL)|
|DATE:||Sat., Nov. 5 at 1:05 p.m.||LOCATION:||Worcester, Mass.|
|SERIES RECORD:||HC leads, 3-0-0||LAST MEETING:||2-0, HC (Nov. 7, 2015)|
|LIVE STATS:||NeuLion Stats||LIVE VIDEO:||Patriot League Network|
The Holy Cross men’s soccer team will conclude the 2016 season when it hosts Loyola Maryland this Saturday on Senior Day. The Crusaders will be presenting the Luke Dunivant Award at halftime. Here is what you need to know as the Crusaders prepare to take on the Greyhounds.
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The Crusaders return to action on Saturday, Nov. 5, when they host Loyola Maryland at 1:05 p.m.. Last year, Holy Cross defeated Loyola 2-0, on Nov. 7. The Greyhounds are 7-6-3 so far this year with a 5-1-2 record in the Patriot League and are in second place.
- Before the game, the Crusaders will honor their seniors, while at halftime the 2016 Luke Dunivant Award will be presented.
- Holy Cross is 3-0-0 all-time versus Loyola.
- The Crusaders are 5-3-1 at home so far this season.
- Senior Joey DeVivo has scored 23 career goals as he is tied for seventh all-time in program history.
- Prior to the contest, the Holy Cross athletic department and the men’s soccer program will honor its five seniors for their hard work and dedication to the program over the last four years.
- The five seniors to be honored are Tim Frassetto, Joseph Metzger, Ryan Gavey, Joey DeVivo and Matt Villano.
- Head Coach Marco Koolman discusses the seniors. ““Tim Frassetto has been a mainstay in the back, but unfortunately due to an early season ending injury he has not been able to play this year. He has always been a strong leader and competitor. Ryan Gavey will be missed tremendously because of his character and his leadership. He has been such an important part of our defense. Joey DeVivo has scored some key goals for us as a forward. I think that anytime you lose a goal scoring threat, that requires some big shoes to fill for the next person coming in. Joseph Metzger has been key for us at midfield. He been a great team player and is willing to do what it takes for the team to win. Matt Villano’s performances and all of his hard work over the last three years has flourished with the number of goals he has put away this year. His character, worth ethic, and determination, together with his passion on the field as an attacking threat, will be another one that requires big shoes to fill for the person following in his footsteps.”
LUKE DUNIVANT AWARD:
- At halftime, the Luke Dunivant Award will be presented to a member of the current Holy Cross men’s soccer team. The award was established in memory of former Holy Cross men's soccer player Luke Dunivant, Class of 1997, who passed away in 2008 after a courageous battle with leukemia. The award is presented annually to a member of the men's soccer team who, like Luke, has inspired others by displaying outstanding courage, commitment to the team and sportsmanship during his career. Past winners of the Luke Dunivant Award are Peter Whooley (2009), Tom Van Grinsven (2010), Jordan Michael (2011), Pat McCann (2012), Monty Sanders (2013), Michael Thompson (2014), and Eddie Gibbons (2015).
VILLANO LEADING CRUSADERS:
- Senior Matt Villano leads the Crusaders with six goals, four assists and 16 points.
- For his career, Villano has eight goals and five assists for 21 points.