Women's Lacrosse Defeats Vermont, 16-8
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross women’s lacrosse team defeated the University of Vermont, 16-8, in Worcester, Mass., on March 7.
The Catamounts opened up the scoring, but the Crusaders (2-5) scored four goals in a row in the first half to take a 4-1 lead. The first half ended with the Crusaders leading 9-4.
Junior Molly Pfaff opened up the scoring in the second. The scoring went back and fourth between the Catamounts and the Crusaders as the second half began, but Holy Cross held the Catamounts to four goals and scored six goals to earn the victory.
First Half | HC 9 UVM 4
- Vermont opened up scoring with 24:43 left in the first half from Bailey Saneman.
- Senior Kerianne Moran tied the game, 1-1, from freshman Catherine Guanci at 22:35.
- Moran scored the go-ahead goal and her second of the game to give the Crusaders the 2-1 lead at 21:38.
- With 20 minutes left in the first half, junior Baker Earl scored to give the Crusaders the 3-1 lead.
- Junior Keely Connors scored her eighth goal of the season from Earl with 17:53 left in the first.
- Jenna James scored for the Catamounts to make the score 4-2 in favor of the Crusaders.
- Elise Koehl scored her first of the day for the Catamounts with 14:23 left in the first.
- Earl got her second assist of the day on a goal from junior Molly Pfaff to make the score 5-3.
- Vermont’s Alex Bernier scored to make the score 5-4.
- The Crusaders extended the lead to 6-4 as Moran scored her second goal of the game.
- Sophomore Anna Pusey scored her fourth goal of the season to extend the lead to 7-4.
- Sophomore Riley Bergholtz scored her first of the day from junior Jessi Button making the score 8-4.
- Despite playing a man down, Earl scored her second of the day and gave the Crusaders a 9-4 lead.
Second Half | HC 16 UVM 8
- Pfaff scored her second of the game from junior Julia Insani to start the second half.
- Sophomore Bryn Carroll scored her first of the day right after Pfaff’s goal.
- Vermont’s Ali Korin scored at 23:15 in the second from Bernier to make the score 11-5.
- The Catamounts added another goal from Elena McWright on a free position goal.
- Vermont went on a 3-0 run and Koehl scored her second of the day to bring the score to 11-7 in favor of Holy Cross.
- Sophomore Maggie Moriarty scored playing a man up at 16:55 and the Crusaders took a 12-7 lead.
- Earl scored her third of the game at 11:41.
- Connors tallied her second of the game to take the Crusaders’ lead to 14-7 with 11 minutes left in the second half.
- Carroll notched her fourth of the season to give Holy Cross a 15-7 lead.
- Saneman scored her second of the game for the Catamounts playing a man up.
- Carroll notched her third goal of the game with 2:18 left in the second half.
- Three different Crusaders scored hat tricks in the win. Carroll, Earl and Moran all notched three goals. Earl also had two assists.
- Connors and Pfaff both scored two goals.
- Senior Julia Maloney earned the win and had to make two saves.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross outshot Vermont, 46-18.
- The Crusaders had 15 turnovers while the Catamounts had 25.
- Eight different Crusaders scored with five players having multiple goals.
- All three of Carroll's goals came in the second half.