Crusaders Ready For Key Home Series Versus Robert Morris
|Holy Cross (9-9-6, 6-6-6 AHC)
vs. Robert Morris (14-7-3, 10-6-2 AHC)
|Dates/Time:||Jan. 27-28, 2017 / 7:00 p.m.|
|Arena:||Hart Center at Luth Athletic Complex|
|Series:||Robert Morris leads, 7-4-1|
|Series at HC:||Robert Morris leads, 5-2-1|
|Last Meeting:||HC 5, Robert Morris 2 (1/16/16)|
|Last Robert Morris Win:||Robert Morris 5, HC 4 (1/15/16)|
|First Meeting:||Robert Morris 4, HC 2 (11/5/10)|
|Tickets:||Jan. 27; Jan. 28|
|Live Stats:||Game 1; Game 2|
|Social Media:||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
PDF of Complete Game Notes
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The Holy Cross men’s hockey team (9-9-6, 6-6-6 AHC) will return to action when it hosts Robert Morris (14-7-3, 10-6-2 AHC) on Friday and Saturday, Jan. 27-28 at 7:05 p.m. The game on Friday will be shown live on Charter TV3 with Kevin Shea and Mike McGuire on the call. Friday and Saturday’s contests will also be streamed live on AtlanticHockey.TV. Saturday’s game will feature Dan McLoughlin and Michael Lowther calling the action.
- The Crusaders are tied for fifth in Atlantic Hockey in scoring offense out of 11 teams with 2.67 goals per game, while the Colonials are first with 3.12 goals per contest. The Crusaders are fifth in scoring defense by allowing 2.92 goals per game, while Robert Morris is third with 2.54 goals allowed per contest.
- The Crusaders lead the league and are third nationally with only 9.8 penalty minutes per game, while Robert Morris is sixth in the conference with 12.8. The Crusaders are fourth in the league with a .182 power play percentage, while the Colonials are first with a .242 percentage. The Crusaders are seventh in the league with a .794 penalty kill percentage, while Robert Morris is fifth in the conference with a .840 percentage.
CRUSADERS ON A ROLL:
- The Crusaders are 3-1-3 over the last seven games. Holy Cross has outscored its opponents by an 17-12 margin. The Crusaders have posted 33.3 shots per game, while Holy Cross has held the opposition to just 24.6 shots per game. The Crusaders are 5-32 on the power play and have only allowed two goals on 24 power plays for the opposition. Holy Cross has outscored its opponents, 7-2 in the third period during this stretch. Sophomore forward Michael Laffin has led the team with seven points on two goals and five assists. Junior goalie Paul Berrafato has tallied a .930 save percentage and a 1.66 goals against average.
LOPEZ WITH A POINT IN 20 OF 24 GAMES:
- Junior forward Danny Lopez has posted at least one point in 20 of the 24 games this season. His 13 goals and 24 points lead the team. His 13 goals and 24 points are also tied for fourth in the league. Lopez posted a 14-game point streak which is the longest in the Division I history of the program. For his career, he has 26 goals and 20 assists for 46 points. His nine power play goals are tied for second nationally. His nine power play goals are also tied for fifth all-time for a season in the program’s Division I history.
HOLDING ON TO THE LEAD:
- The Crusaders are 6-0-2 this season and 31-2-5 under head coach David Berard when leading after the second period. Holy Cross is also 3-0-2 this season and 19-3-3 under Berard when leading after the first period.
CRUSADERS AT HOME:
- The Crusaders are 7-3-4 at home this season with wins versus No. 11 Providence, Brown, No. 20 Union, Air Force, Canisius and two versus Niagara.
THE SERIES WITH ROBERT MORRIS:
- These will be the 13th and 14th meetings between the two programs as Robert Morris leads the series 7-4-1. Last year, both games were played in Worcester as the Colonials won the first game, 5-4, and the Crusaders took the second contest, 5-2.
BARRETT WITH 89 CAREER POINTS:
- Senior assistant captain Mike Barrett has four goals and 13 assists for 17 points. For his career, he has 37 goals and 52 assists for 89 points.
TRAPP LEADS TEAM WITH 14 ASSISTS:
- Sophomore Spencer Trapp is tied for sixth in the league with 15 points by defensemen. He leads the team and is tied for ninth in the conference with 14 assists. For his career, he has four goals and 24 assists for 28 points.
PLAYING EXTRA TIME:
- The Crusaders have played in four-straight overtime games. The school record is five straight overtime games set last season. The Crusaders are 1-1-6 this season in overtime.
BERRAFATO ON RICHTER AWARD WATCH LIST:
- Junior Paul Berrafato is one of 20 student-athletes named to the 2017 Mike Richter Award Watch List, as announced by Let’s Play Hockey and the Herb Brooks Foundation. The award honors the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA men’s hockey. Berrafato has two shutouts this season and five for his career. His five shutouts are third all-time in the Division I history of the program, while his 28 victories are also third and his 1,552 saves are fourth. His 2.43 career goals against average is ranked second all-time.
TWO WINS OVER RANKED TEAMS:
- So far this season, the Crusaders have defeated two nationally ranked opponents, downing No. 11 Providence on Oct. 15 at the DCU Center and No. 20 Union on Nov. 1 at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex. Providence won the 2015 national championship, while Union won the championship in 2014. After the loss to the Crusaders, Union has gone 8-1-1 and are currently No. 10 in the nation. This was the second time in a season in program history that the Crusaders have defeated two nationally ranked teams.
Make sure to visit the Holy Cross Team Shop during this weekend's games against Robert Morris, to receive 10 percent off the Item of the Game!
BE PART OF THE ACTION THIS SEASON
- To purchase tickets for the 2016-2017 Holy Cross men's hockey season, call 1-844-GOCROSS or visit GoHolyCross.com/Tickets.