Crusaders To Play At AIC; Then Host Pink The Rink On Feb. 3
|Holy Cross (10-10-6, 7-7-6 AHC)
vs. AIC (7-15-6, 6-11-5 AHC)
|Dates/Time:||Feb. 2-3, 2017 / 7:00 p.m.|
|Location (Feb. 2):||Springfield, Mass.|
|Location (Feb. 3):||Worcester, Mass.|
|Arena (Feb. 2):||MassMutual Center|
|Arena (Feb. 3):||Hart Center at Luth Athletic Complex|
|Series:||HC leads, 53-22-11|
|Series at AIC:||HC leads, 23-12-3|
|Series at HC:||HC leads, 27-10-8|
|Last Meeting:||HC 4, AIC 4 (11/4/16)|
|Last HC Win:||HC 2, AIC 1 (2/20/16)|
|Last AIC Win:||AIC 4, HC 2 (11/3/16)|
|First Meeting:||AIC 12, HC 2 (11/30/71)|
|Live Stats:||Game 1; Game 2|
|Social Media:||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
PDF of Complete Game Notes
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The Holy Cross men’s hockey team (10-10-6, 7-7-6 AHC) will return to action when it plays a home-and-home series with American International (7-15-6, 6-11-5 AHC) on Thursday and Friday, Feb. 2-3 at 7:05 p.m. The game on Thursday will be at the MassMutual Center in Springfield, while the Crusaders will host Pink The Rink on Friday. The games will be streamed live on AtlanticHockey.TV. Friday’s game will feature Hilary Shea and Michael Lowther calling the action.
- The Crusaders are tied for sixth place in the Atlantic Hockey standings with 20 points, while the Yellow Jackets are ninth with 17 points. Earlier this season the Crusaders went 0-1-1 versus AIC. Holy Cross is 53-22-11 all-time versus AIC and are 7-1-2 against the Yellow Jackets over the last 10 games.
- The Crusaders are seventh in Atlantic Hockey in scoring offense out of 11 teams with 2.62 goals per game, while the Yellow Jackets are eighth with 2.50 goals per contest. The Crusaders are sixth in scoring defense by allowing 3.04 goals per game, while AIC is 10th with 3.29 goals allowed per contest.
- The Crusaders lead the league and are second nationally with only 9.7 penalty minutes per game. The Crusaders are fifth in the league with a .176 power play percentage, while the Yellow Jackets are second with a .214 percentage. The Crusaders are seventh in the league with a .782 penalty kill percentage, while AIC is sixth in the conference with a .787 percentage.
PINK THE RINK:
- The Crusaders have partnered with HC for a Cure, a Holy Cross student organization devoted to spreading awareness about breast cancer and fundraising for local breast cancer organizations. HC for a Cure will be selling t-shirts and sponsoring a chuck a puck to raise money for Pink Revolution.
FASTEST GOAL IN DI PROGRAM HISTORY:
- Holy Cross’ first goal versus Robert Morris on Jan. 27 was just 17 seconds after the opening face-off by senior assistant captain Mike Barrett. It is the fastest goal in the school’s Division I program history. The previous record was set on Oct. 29, 2005 against Army West Point which happened at just 23 seconds of the first period.
THE SERIES WITH AIC:
- This will be the 87th and 88th meetings between Holy Cross and AIC as the Crusaders are 53-22-11 all-time versus the Yellow Jackets. The Crusaders are 7-1-2 over the last 10 contests versus AIC. Earlier this season, the Crusaders went 0-1-1 versus AIC.
CRUSADERS ON A ROLL:
- The Crusaders are 4-2-3 over the last nine games. The Crusaders have posted 31.2 shots per game, while Holy Cross has held the opposition to just 25.3 shots per game. The Crusaders are 6-42 on the power play. Holy Cross has outscored its opponents, 7-2 in the third period during this stretch. Sophomore forward Michael Laffin has led the team with eight points on three goals and five assists.
LOPEZ WITH A POINT IN 21 OF 26 GAMES:
- Junior forward Danny Lopez has posted at least one point in 21 of the 26 games this season. His 14 goals and 26 points lead the team. His 14 goals are tied for third in the league and his 26 points are tied for fourth. Lopez posted a 14-game point streak which is the longest in the Division I history of the program. For his career, he has 27 goals and 21 assists for 48 points. His 10 power play goals are tied for second nationally. His 10 power play goals are also tied for third all-time for a season in the program’s Division I history.
HOLDING ON TO THE LEAD:
- The Crusaders are 7-0-2 this season and 32-2-5 under head coach David Berard when leading after the second period. Holy Cross is also 4-0-2 this season and 20-3-3 under Berard when leading after the first period.
CRUSADERS AT HOME:
- The Crusaders are 8-4-4 at home this season with wins versus No. 11 Providence, Brown, No. 20 Union, Air Force, Canisius, two versus Niagara and a recent win versus Robert Morris.
BARRETT WITH 90 CAREER POINTS:
- Senior assistant captain Mike Barrett has five goals and 13 assists for 18 points. For his career, he has 38 goals and 52 assists for 90 points.
TRAPP LEADS TEAM WITH 14 ASSISTS:
- Sophomore Spencer Trapp is tied for sixth in the league with 15 points by defensemen. He leads the team with 14 assists. For his career, he has four goals and 24 assists for 28 points.
TWO WINS OVER RANKED TEAMS:
- So far this season, the Crusaders have defeated two nationally ranked opponents, downing No. 11 Providence on Oct. 15 at the DCU Center and No. 20 Union on Nov. 1 at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex. Providence won the 2015 national championship, while Union won the championship in 2014. After the loss to the Crusaders, Union has gone 8-1-1 and are currently No. 10 in the nation. This was the second time in a season in program history that the Crusaders have defeated two nationally ranked teams.
Make sure to visit the Holy Cross Team Shop during Friday's game against AIC, to receive 10 percent off the Item of the Game!
BE PART OF THE ACTION THIS SEASON
- To purchase tickets for the 2016-2017 Holy Cross men's hockey season, call 1-844-GOCROSS or visit GoHolyCross.com/Tickets.