Crusaders To Conclude Regular Season At Bentley
|Holy Cross (13-13-6, 10-10-6 AHC)
at Bentley (11-15-6, 10-11-5 AHC)
|Dates/Time:||Feb. 24-25, 2017 / 7:05 p.m.|
|Arena:||John A. Ryan Arena|
|Series:||HC leads, 32-20-8|
|Series at Bentley:||
HC leads, 14-9-6
|Last Meeting:||HC 2, Bentley 1 (OT) (12/12/15)|
|Last Bentley Win:||Bentley 5, HC 1 (2/7/15)|
|First Meeting:||HC 5, Bentley 2 (2/10/73)|
|Live Stats:||Game 1 Game 2
|Social Media:||Facebook | Twitter | Instagram|
PDF of Complete Game Notes
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- The Holy Cross men’s hockey team (13-13-6, 10-10-6 AHC), which is 7-5-3 over its last 15 games, will conclude its regular season on the road against Bentley (11-15-6, 10-11-5 AHC) on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 24-25 at 7:05 p.m.
- The Crusaders are tied for fifth place with Mercyhurst in the AHC standings with 26 points, while Bentley is seventh with 25 points. Holy Cross is three points behind fourth-place Robert Morris. The top five teams earn a first round bye in the AHC Tournament. Only five points separate fourth through eighth place in the standings.
- This is the first time Holy Cross will play Bentley this season. Holy Cross leads the all-time series, 32-20-8.
- The Crusaders are sixth in the AHC in scoring offense out of 11 teams with 2.72 goals per game, while Bentley is seventh with 2.66 goals per contest. Holy Cross is fifth in scoring defense with 2.84 goals allowed per game, while Bentley is eighth with 3.09 goals allowed per game.
- The Crusaders lead the league and are second nationally with only 9.5 penalty minutes per game. The Crusaders are sixth in the league with a .181 power play percentage, while the Falcons are eighth with a .152 percentage. The Crusaders are sixth in the league with a .780 penalty kill percentage, while Bentley is seventh in the conference with a .778 percentage.
THE SERIES WITH BENTLEY:
- This will be the 62nd and 63rd times that these two teams have met with HC leading, 32-20-8. The Crusaders won last year’s season series, 1-0-1. The Crusaders are 4-5-1 versus Bentley over the last 10 games. The Crusaders are 2-2-1 versus Bentley in the last five games at the John A. Ryan Skating Arena.
CRUSADERS ON A ROLL:
- The Crusaders are 7-5-3 over the last 15 games. Holy Cross has outscored its opponents 40-33. The Crusaders have posted 30.4 shots per game, while Holy Cross has held the opposition to just 24.7 shots per game. The Crusaders are 11-66 on the power play, while their opponents are 9-49. Holy Cross has outscored its opponents, 12-6 in the third period during this stretch. Junior forward Danny Lopez and sophomore forward Michael Laffin lead the team with 12 points each during the last 15 games. Lopez has seven goals and five assists, while Laffin has five goals and seven assists. Junior goalie Paul Berrafato has allowed 2.16 goals per game and posted a .913 save percentage over this 15 game stretch.
LOPEZ 3RD IN THE NATION IN POWER PLAY GOALS:
- Junior forward Danny Lopez is tied for third in the nation with 12 power play goals. His 12 power play goals are second all-time in the program’s Division I history. Tyler McGregor holds the record with 13 in 2005-2006.
BARRETT NINTH ALL-TIME IN GAMES PLAYED:
- Senior assistant captain Mike Barrett has played in 143 games which are tied for ninth all-time in the history of the program. He has seven goals and 16 assists for 23 points this season. His 16 assists lead the team. For his career, he has 40 goals and 55 assists for 95 points. On February 4, Barrett totaled four points with one goal and three assists as the Crusaders defeated AIC 8-2. His three assists tied for 10th all-time for a game in the program’s Division I history.
LOPEZ LEADS THE TEAM IN SCORING:
- Junior forward Danny Lopez has posted at least one point in 24 of the 32 games this season. His 17 goals and 31 points lead the team. His 17 goals are second in the league and his 31 points are fourth. His 17 goals are also tied for sixth in the Division I history of the program. On Friday, Feb. 3, Lopez netted his first hat trick of his career in the 8-2 win versus AIC. It was the 23rd hat trick in the Division I history of the program. Lopez posted a 14-game point streak which is the longest in the Division I history of the program. He has been named one of 23 semifinalists for the 65th Walter Brown Award as announced by the Gridiron Club of Greater Boston. The award is presented annually to the best American-born college hockey player in New England. For his career, he has 30 goals and 23 assists for 53 points.
HOLDING ON TO THE LEAD:
- The Crusaders are 10-0-2 this season and 35-2-5 under head coach David Berard when leading after the second period. Holy Cross is also 7-0-2 this season and 23-3-3 under Berard when leading after the first period. The Crusaders are 9-0-1 this season when scoring the first goal of the game.
COUGHLIN SCORING BIG GOALS:
- Sophomore defenseman Johnny Coughlin now has two game winners this season, including in the 4-0 at RIT. Four of his six career goals are game winners.
BERRAFATO ON RICHTER AWARD WATCH LIST:
- Junior Paul Berrafato is one of 20 student-athletes named to the 2017 Mike Richter Award Watch List. The award honors the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA men’s hockey. Berrafato now has three shutouts this season which are tied for second all-time for a season in the program’s Division I history. His six career shutouts are also tied for second all-time. His 32 victories are also third and his 1,719 saves are fourth. His 2.45 career goals against average is ranked second all-time.