Men's Hockey To Host Arizona State
WORCESTER, Mass. - On Nov. 24 and 25, the Holy Cross men’s hockey team will host Arizona state in a non-conference series at the Hart Center. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
• Holy Cross hosts Arizona State for the teams’ first ever meeting. The Sun Devils are in their third season as a Division I program.
• The Crusaders’ received nine votes in the USCHO poll. It is the first time to have received votes since Nov. 7, 2016.
• Ryan Ferrill enters the weekend, currently riding a five game point streak (2-3-5).
• Holy Cross blocked 26 shots on Nov. 18, which set a game-high for the team.
• Mitch Collett recorded the Crusaders’ first shorthanded goal with an empty net goal on Nov. 18.
• The Crusaders played 13:09 minutes on the penalty kill over the weekend, allowing just five shots on goal in across seven opportunities.
• Scott Pooley continues to lead the league in goals, with 12. He ranks third in the nation in scoring.
• After scoring his fifth power play goal, Scott Pooley has the second most goals on the power play in the nation.
• The senior goaltender holds a .929 save percentage that ranks him seventh in the nation.
• Junior forward Mitch Collett has tallied seven points, recording at least one point in each weekend of play since opening the season.
• The senior class has accounted for 67% of the Crusaders offense this season, scoring 27 of the team’s 40 goals.
Berrafato in Goal
• With nine career shutouts, Paul Berrafato captured the all-time shutouts record at Holy Cross. Matt Ginn (2011-15) previously held the record with eight shutouts.
• Berrafato recorded his third shutout of the season at Army on Nov. 18 with 24 saves.
• His .929 save percentage and his 2.23 goals against average ranks first in Atlantic Hockey.
• With three shutouts, Berrafato owns the second most shutouts in the nation this season.
Pooley On A Roll
• Nationally, Scott Pooley ranks third in goals (12) and tied for fifth in power play goals (5).
• In Atlantic Hockey, the senior forward leads the league in scoring and power play goals.
• On Nov. 11, Pooley recorded his third multi-goal game and fourth multi-point game of the season.
• The senior forward leads the Crusaders in points (11-2-13).
A Freshman Impact
• Logan Ferguson has been steadily contributing to the Crusaders’ offense with seven points in 12 games played.
• The freshman forward has recorded the second most assists on the team (6).
• He is tied for the third most freshmen points in Atlantic Hockey with one goal and six assists.
Scouting The Sun Devils
• The Sun Devils travel to Worcester with a 2-8-2 overall record and play an independent schedule.
• Most recently, Arizona State was swept by Penn State in Glenndale, Ariz., falling 7-0 and 4-2 on Nov. 17 and 18, respectively.
• With five power play goals on 51 opportunities, the Sun Devils hold a 9.8% conversion rate.
• Arizona State has killed 43 of 53 penalties for a 81.1% success rate on the kill.
Sun Devils to Watch
• Jakob Stridsberg leads the team in goals and points (5-2-7) through 12 games played.
• Brett Gruber also leads in points, with seven, from two goals and five assists.
• On the power play, just three Sun Devils have broken through. Stridsberg and Brinson Pasichnuk have each tallied two power play goals and Jacob Wilson has scored once on the advantage.
• Joey Daccord has played 11 games for the Sun Devils, amassing 372 saves for a .914 save percentage and 3.17 goals against average.
Holy Cross and Atlantic Hockey
• The Crusaders average 3.08 goals per game ranks the fifth highest in the league and their 2.46 goals against ranks second.
• Johnny Coughlin ranks third among the league in blocked shots (28).
• Ferguson holds the third highest spot in freshman scoring (1-5-6).
• Michael Laffin ranks fifth amongst the league in plus/minus at +5.
The Last Game Out: At Brown
• The Crusaders played a mid-week game at Brown on Nov. 21 and were defeated, 4-2.
• A five-on-three goal for the Bears equalized the game another second periof goal proved to be the decider of the game.
• Ryan Ferrill and Scott Pooley scored for the Crusaders while Paul Berrafato made 34 saves.
Recapping Last Weekend
• Holy Cross took three points on the road at Army West Point with a 2-2 tie and a 4-0 win.
• Four Crusaders recorded two points in the series. Danny Lopez scored two goals. T.J. Moore, Ryan Ferrill and Peter Crinella added two assists in the games.
• Pete Kessel recorded his first collegiate goal on Nov. 18.
• The shutout victory also snapped and 11-game unbeaten streak that Army held over Holy Cross.
• Holy Cross will travel to RIT to resume Atlantic Hockey play on Dec. 1 and 2 for a 7:05 p.m. puck drop.