Men's Hockey Travels to RIT for Two
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Crusaders embark on their third Atlantic Hockey road series of the season. Holy Cross will face RIT on Dec. 1 and 2 at the Gene Polisseni Center in Rochester. Puck drop is slated for 7:05 p.m. both nights.
• The Crusaders’ received votes in the USCHO poll in back-to-back weeks, for the first time since their five week appearance in 2016 (Oct. 10 - Nov. 7).
• Scott Pooley added two goals and one assist last week, maintaining his second place ranking in national scoring (13-3-16).
• The Crusaders posted an 88% success rate on the penalty kill last week (8-9). Through November, Holy Cross held an 87% success rate on the kill (27-31). On the season, the team has killed 46 of 56 opportunities (82%).
• Brett Mulcahy returned to the lineup for the Arizona State series and posted consecutive assists.
• With three shutouts, Paul Berrafato has recorded the second most in the nation.
• Johnny Coughlin leads the team in blocked shots, with 29.
• With four assists in his last six games, T.J. Moore leads the team with helpers (8).
• With 44 goals in 15 games, the Crusaders have recorded the second most goals in Atlantic Hockey.
• The senior class has accounted for 59% of the Crusaders offense this season, scoring 26 of the team’s 44 goals.
• The Holy Cross offensive power comes from the forwards, scoring 90% of their goals (40-44).
• The Crusaders own the lowest goals against average in Atlantic Hockey (2.40).
Berrafato in Goal
• Paul Berrafato’s .926 save percentage and his 2.32 goals against average leads Atlantic Hockey. He has also recorded the most saves in the league (448).
• Berrafato has posted shutouts over Dartmouth, Air Force, and Army.
• With three shutouts, Berrafato owns the second most shutouts in the nation this season.
• With nine career shutouts, Paul Berrafato captured the all-time shutouts record at Holy Cross. Matt Ginn (2011-15) previously held the record with eight shutouts.
• In his career, Berrafato has played 93 games and 81 consecutive starts. Of the active goaltenders in the NCAA, Berrafato ranks second with the most consecutive starts.
• The senior netminder also ranks in the top four goaltenders for the biggest save percentage improvement since the 2016-17 season (+.30).
• Nationally, Scott Pooley ranks second in goals/per game (0.87). Pooley’s 13 goals is the most goals scored in the nation.
• On the power play, Pooley has recorded five goals, which ranks him tied for third nationally.
• In Atlantic Hockey, the senior forward leads the league in scoring and power play goals.
• Pooley is tied for third overall in Atlantic Hockey points, averaging 1.07 points per game.
• On Nov. 11, Pooley recorded his third multi-goal game and fourth multi-point game of the season.
• The senior forward leads the Crusaders in points (13-3-16).
• Senior captain Brett Mulcahy posted consecutive assists in the Arizona State series.
• His two game-winning tallies of the season ranks tied for sixth in the league.
• In his 10 games played this season, Mulcahy has tallied three goals and two assists for five points.
A Freshman Impact
• Of the five freshman, four have registered one goal and each have recorded at least one point.
• Logan Ferguson has been steadily contributing to the Crusaders’ offense with seven points in 14 games played.
Scouting The Tigers
• The Tigers host the Crusaders with a 6-5-1overall record and 6-2-0 mark in league play.
• RIT owns the ninth-best power play in the nation with a 24.4 conversion rate.
• On the penalty kill, the Tigers hold a 75.9% success rate.
Tigers to Watch
• Three different Tigers lead the team in points at 14: Erik Brown, Gabe Valenzuela, and Abbot Girduckis.
• Myles Powell leads in assists (11) while Brown leads in goals (9) and power play goals (3). Eight different Tigers have scored on the power play.
• Logan Drackett has played in 10 of the Tigers’ 12 games, posting an .889 save percentage and a 3.22 goals against average. The freshman netminder holds a 6-3-1 record.
• The Crusaders have played 15 games and seven have stretched into overtime. Holy Cross has skated to a 1-0-6 record when playing more than 60 minutes.
Holy Cross and Atlantic Hockey
• The Crusaders average 2.93 goals per game ranks the fourth highest in the league and their 2.53 goals against ranks second.
• At 82.8%, Holy Cross’ penalty kill ranks fourth in the league.
• Johnny Coughlin ranks third among the league in blocked shots (29).
• Michael Laffin ranks fifth amongst the league in plus/minus at +5.
The Last Games Out: Arizona State, Brown
• Holy Cross hosted Arizona State for the teams’ first ever meetings and were defeated, 3-1 (Nov. 24) and tied, 3-3 (Nov. 25).
• Paul Berrafato recorded 28 saves in both games. Spencer Trapp scored his first of the year and Mitch Collett, Danny Lopez, and Scott Pooley added goals.
• The Crusaders played a mid-week game at Brown on Nov. 21 and were defeated, 4-2.
• Ryan Ferrill and Scott Pooley scored for the Crusaders while Paul Berrafato made 34 saves.
The Fastest Goal
• Holy Cross’ Mitch Collett scored nine seconds into the game on Nov. 25, recording the fastest goal in program history as a Division 1 team.
• Holy Cross will face Union in Schenectady, N.Y. for its final game of the first half of the season on Dec. 9 at 7:00 p.m.