Men's Hockey Travels to Mercyhurst for Two
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Crusaders will travel to Erie, Pa. for two games with the Mercyhurst Lakers. Holy Cross will play at 7:05 p.m on Feb. 9 and Feb. 10.
• The Crusaders continue to sit in a tie for first place in Atlantic Hockey, after a split with Canisius on Feb. 2 and 3.
• T.J. Moore recorded his 100th point after a four point night on Feb. 2. Moore now sits at 101 carrer points. Moore also ranks third on the team in points (25) and first in assists with 19 assists.
• Against the Golden Griffins, the Crusaders scored five power play goals. Michael Laffin and Danny Lopez each recorded two, while Logan Ferguson scored his first power play tally as a Crusader.
• Ten different Crusaders recorded a point over the weekend. Five had multi-point weekends.
• Scott Pooley leads the Crusaders with 33 points and has recorded at least one assist in the Crusaders last four games.
• Paul Berrafato has made 888 saves in 30 games played to lead the team. Berrafato’s .922 save percentage ranks highest in Atlantic Hockey.
• Ryan Ferrill leads the team in plus/minus at +9.
• Three Crusaders have recorded double digit points on the power play: Pooley (8-4-12), Laffin (3-8-11), and Moore (2-8-10).
• On Friday, the Crusaders’ record is 10-2-2.
• Scott Pooley has been nominated for the Hobey Baker fan ballot. Vote once daily at www.hobeybaker.com/vote.
Pooley for Hobey Baker
• With 33 points, Scott Pooley leads the Crusaders.
• The senior forward has scored the fifth most goals in the nation, at 18. He also leads Atlantic Hockey in goal scoring.
• Pooley has added 15 assists, after four consecutive games with at least one assist.
• With 33 points, Pooley ranks third in Atlantic Hockey.
• On the power play, Pooley has totaled 12 points on eight goals and four assists.
• Pooley’s eight power play goals leads the league.
Berrafato in Goal
• Paul Berrafato’s .922 save percentage leads Atlantic Hockey and ranks eighth nationally.
• On Jan. 26, the senior goaltender recorded his 10th career shutout.
• In the Crusaders’ 4-0 win over RIT, Berrafato posted 29 saves to claim his fourth shutout of the year and tie Holy Cross’ all-time single season shutout record.
• Eleven Crusaders have recorded double-digit points through 30 games.
• Logan Ferguson is the first freshman and eleventh Crusader to hit the double-digit point mark with two goals and eight assists.
• Four Crusaders have reached the 20-point mark.
• Senior forward Danny Lopez ranks third in points for Holy Cross, recording 13 goals and nine assists for 22 points.
• Seven of Lopez’s 22 points have come on the power play.
Power Play Production
• The Crusaders’ power play conversion jumped from 14.7% to 17.6% after scoring five power play goals in their last two games.
• The Crusaders have tallied 21 power play goals, coming from eight different players.
No Laffin Matter
• Michael Laffin ranks second in points on the team with 27. He also ranks second in blocked shots (41).
• Laffin has recorded 18 points in the Crusaders’ last 13 games.
Holy Cross in January
•Through January, Michael Laffin and Danny Lopez led the team each with eight points. Laffin recorded two goals and six assists. Lopez has scored five goals with three assists.
• Paul Berrafato posted a .929 save percentage in eight games to open 2018.
Scouting The Lakers
• The Crusaders and Lakers meet after opening the season against each other with consecutive ties.
• Mercyhurst hosts Holy Cross with a 13-10-4 record, and 10-7-4 mark in league play.
• The Lakers sit in fourth place in Atlantic Hockey with 24 points.
• Most recently, Mercyhurst took three of four points from Army before a bye-week. The Lakers have not played a game since Jan. 27.
• The Lakers’ special team have seen success as the power play has a conversion rate of 22.0% and penalty kill success rate of 82.6%.
Lakers to Watch
• Derek Barach leads the Lakers with 27 points on 11 goals and 16 assists. Barach leads the team in assists.
• Jack Riley leads in goals, with 14.
• On the power play, Jack Riley and Jonathan Charbonneau have each lit the lamp five times.
• In goal, Brandon Wildung has played in 25 games for a .917 save percentage and 2.83 goals against average.
• Holy Cross has 28 points to tie with Canisius in first place.
• Robert Morris and Mercyhurst follow closely with 26 and 24 points respectively.
• There is just a seven point difference between first and eighth place with three weekends remaining in the regular season.
• The Crusaders have four games remaining in the regular season.
The Last Time Out: Canisius
Feb. 2 at Canisius: W, 5-1
Holy Cross Goals: Lopez (2), Laffin, Moore, Mulcahy
Holy Cross Goalie: Paul Berrafato (19 saves)
Power Play: 3-7
Notes: Four different Crusader forwards lit the lamp.
Feb. 3 at Canisius: L, 5-2
Holy Cross Goals: Laffin, Ferguson
Holy Cross Goalie: Paul Berrafato (29 saves)
Power Play: 2-5
Notes: Ferguson tallied his first power play goal as a Crusader.
• Holy Cross will play American International College in Springfield, Mass. at 2:00 p.m. on Feb. 17.