Women's Hockey on the Road against Franklin Pierce
HOLY CROSS ON THE ROAD AGAINST FRANKLIN PIERCE
• The Holy Cross women’s hockey team will travel to Franklin Pierce for 7:00 p.m. matchup Friday in Winchendon, Mass.
RECAPPING TEAM CHINA
• The Crusaders hosted an exhibition game against the Chinese National team Wednesday, Oct. 18.
• Holy Cross lost 3-1 to Team China. Rachel Llanes scored in twice for Team China, along with Qinan Zhao.
• Katie MacCuaig scored in the third period for the Crusaders from Kara Violette and Sam Girard.
• Holy Cross’ Julia Pelletier recorded 36 saves in the exhibition.
SCOUTING FRANKLIN PIERCE
• The Crusaders defeated Franklin Pierce three out of four times in the 2016-2017 season. Holy Cross is 6-4-0 against Franklin Pierce all time.
• The Ravens will open their season against the Crusaders on Friday.
• Franklin Pierce went 18-7-2 last season.
• Alex Brolsma will be returning for the Ravens and led the team with 22 assists and was second on the team with 15 goals.
• The Ravens lost their senior goalie Shannon O’Neil, who had 537 saves in 1351:22 minutes of play last season.
• Franklin Pierce is coached by David Stockdale, who is in his sixth season as head coach.
HOLY CROSS RETURNEES
• Fifteen skaters return for the Crusaders in the 2017-18 season.
• Three goalies also return for Holy Cross.
• Kara Violette led the team in points (19-16-35) last season.
• Four of the team’s top five points leaders return.
• Tessie Salatas played 917:29 minutes between the pipes for the Crusaders, holding a .928 save percentage in 2016-17 and enters her senior season.
• Head coach Peter Van Buskirk adds six to the roster for the 2017-18 season - two defensemen, three forwards and one goalie.
• Allison Attea and Antonia Matzka will join the defensive core.
• Katie MacCuaig, Grace Peluso and Mackenzie Griffith join the Crusader offense.
• Julia Pelletier joins the Crusaders as a goalie.
• Senior Kara Violette continues at the helm of the Crusader leadership, serving as captain for the second consecutive season. Junior Tori Messina has also been named captain alongside Violette.
• Junior Sam Girard has been named assistant captain for the Crusaders.
TRANSITION TO HOCKEY EAST
• The Crusaders will be transistioning from the Division III NEHC into the Division I Women’s Hockey East Conference next year, for the 2018-19 season.
• This season, Holy Cross will compete against Hockey East opponent, New Hampshire. In addition, the Crusaders will face Harvard and Dartmouth, who are members of the ECAC.
• The Crusaders will also have a mix of matches against Franklin Pierce, Sacred Heart, Post, Saint Michael’s and St. Anselm.
• Holy Cross will also host an exhibition game against Team China Oct. 18.
IN GOAL FOR THE CRUSADERS
• Holy Cross returns three goalies, two of which are dual-sport athletes.
• Senior goaltender Tessie Salatas enters the 2017-18 season having played 30 games, amassing 1743:21 minutes of play. She has made 544 saves and faced 589 shots for a career save percentage of .924 and 1.55 goals against average. She has an overall record of 25-4-0.
• As a junior, Salatas played in 16 games and went 11-4-0 during the 2016-17 season.
• Junior Alex Barnes also returns for the Crusaders. Barnes went 4-0-0 last season recording a .922 save percentage.
• Also returning in goal for the Crusaders is sophomore Marcia LaPlante. During the 2016-17 season, LaPlante played in eight games and made 127 saves recording a .927 save percentage.
NEW ADDITIONS TO THE CRUSADER STAFF
• The team welcomes new associate head coach Katie Lachapelle. She came to Holy Cross after nine seasons working as an assistant coach at Boston University from 2008-2017.
• Michaela Tosone also joins the staff as the new director of operations. Tosone graduated from UMass Amherst where she was a member of the women’s hockey team.