Women's Ice Hockey Hosts New England College
Holy Cross Athletics 11-09-2016
|Game 5: HOLY CROSS (4-0-0, 2-0-0 NEHC) VS. NEC (1-2-1, 1-1-0 NEHC)|
|DATE:||Sat., Nov. 12 at 1:05 p.m.||LOCATION:||Worcester, Mass.|
|SERIES RECORD:||Holy Cross Leads, 16-4-3||LAST MEETING:||3-2, Holy Cross (Jan. 17, 2016)|
|LIVE STATS:||NeuLion||LIVE VIDEO:||N/A|
The Holy Cross women’s ice hockey team returns to the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex on Saturday, Nov. 12 to host New England College in NEHC action at 1:05 p.m.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- The Crusaders are off to a 4-0-0 start to a season for their third straight year and a 2-0-0 start in conference play for the fourth straight year after most recently defeating Plymouth State, 5-3, and St. Michael’s 3-1 last weekend.
- Leading the way for Holy Cross is junior co-captain forward Kara Violette who has eight points, consisting of a team leading five assists and three goals. Her 2.50 points per game are second in the NEHC, while her five assists are third.
- Sophomore forward Sam Girard has a team-best four goals, which are tied for second in the NEHC, while senior co-captain defender Erin Hall also has four points with three goals and one assist. Hall is third in the conference in defenseman scoring.
- Freshman defender Hannah Gillis earned her first two career points with two assists in the 3-1 win over St. Michael’s on Saturday, Nov. 5, as she leads the Holy Cross freshmen in scoring.
- Junior goaltender Tessie Salatas started the two most recent games in net for Holy Cross, where the Crusaders captured two conference wins. Salatas holds a 16-0-0 mark in net on her career, good for ranking seventh all-time in school history. This season, she averages a .902 save percentage and a 2.00 goals against average.
- The Crusaders are 4-for-17 on the power play, 20-for-22 on penalty kills and average 3.50 goals per game, while holding their opponents to just 1.75 goals per game.
SCOUTING THE PILGRIMS
- New England College is 1-2-0 overall and 1-1-0 in the NEHC, coming off a 3-1 win over Nichols and a 3-1 loss to Plymouth State last weekend. The Pilgrims will head to UMass Boston on Nov. 11 before traveling to Worcester.
- New England College went 8-17-1 last season and 3-13-1 in conference play. The Crusaders came out on top with a 3-2 victory in the two teams’ last matchup on Jan. 17, 2016, as sophomore forward Julie Matthias netted the game-winner. To read the recap, click here. Holy Cross leads the all-time series versus the Pilgrims, 16-4-3.
- Rachel Vigliano and Marisa Roth lead New England College with three points each. Ashley Castriotta has seen the most time in the cage for the Pilgrims, holding a .875 save percentage with a 3.36 goals against average for a 1-2-0 record.
- On the year, the Pilgrims average 2.00 goals per game, while allowing their opponents to score 3.33 goals per game. New England College is 2-for-26 on the power play and 18-for-20 on penalty kills.
- Head coach Kristi Kehoe is in her fourth season at the helm of New England College.
MORE FROM HOLY CROSS Women's Ice Hockey
HOLY CROSS VIDEOLaunch Player
2017-18 Year in Review
Baseball Patriot League Semifinal Hype