Women's Ice Hockey Hosts New England College
Holy Cross Athletics 11-09-2016
|Game 5: HOLY CROSS (4-0-0, 2-0-0 NEHC) VS. NEC (1-2-1, 1-1-0 NEHC)|
|DATE:||Sat., Nov. 12 at 1:05 p.m.||LOCATION:||Worcester, Mass.|
|SERIES RECORD:||Holy Cross Leads, 16-4-3||LAST MEETING:||3-2, Holy Cross (Jan. 17, 2016)|
|LIVE STATS:||NeuLion||LIVE VIDEO:||N/A|
The Holy Cross women’s ice hockey team returns to the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex on Saturday, Nov. 12 to host New England College in NEHC action at 1:05 p.m.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- The Crusaders are off to a 4-0-0 start to a season for their third straight year and a 2-0-0 start in conference play for the fourth straight year after most recently defeating Plymouth State, 5-3, and St. Michael’s 3-1 last weekend.
- Leading the way for Holy Cross is junior co-captain forward Kara Violette who has eight points, consisting of a team leading five assists and three goals. Her 2.50 points per game are second in the NEHC, while her five assists are third.
- Sophomore forward Sam Girard has a team-best four goals, which are tied for second in the NEHC, while senior co-captain defender Erin Hall also has four points with three goals and one assist. Hall is third in the conference in defenseman scoring.
- Freshman defender Hannah Gillis earned her first two career points with two assists in the 3-1 win over St. Michael’s on Saturday, Nov. 5, as she leads the Holy Cross freshmen in scoring.
- Junior goaltender Tessie Salatas started the two most recent games in net for Holy Cross, where the Crusaders captured two conference wins. Salatas holds a 16-0-0 mark in net on her career, good for ranking seventh all-time in school history. This season, she averages a .902 save percentage and a 2.00 goals against average.
- The Crusaders are 4-for-17 on the power play, 20-for-22 on penalty kills and average 3.50 goals per game, while holding their opponents to just 1.75 goals per game.
SCOUTING THE PILGRIMS
- New England College is 1-2-0 overall and 1-1-0 in the NEHC, coming off a 3-1 win over Nichols and a 3-1 loss to Plymouth State last weekend. The Pilgrims will head to UMass Boston on Nov. 11 before traveling to Worcester.
- New England College went 8-17-1 last season and 3-13-1 in conference play. The Crusaders came out on top with a 3-2 victory in the two teams’ last matchup on Jan. 17, 2016, as sophomore forward Julie Matthias netted the game-winner. To read the recap, click here. Holy Cross leads the all-time series versus the Pilgrims, 16-4-3.
- Rachel Vigliano and Marisa Roth lead New England College with three points each. Ashley Castriotta has seen the most time in the cage for the Pilgrims, holding a .875 save percentage with a 3.36 goals against average for a 1-2-0 record.
- On the year, the Pilgrims average 2.00 goals per game, while allowing their opponents to score 3.33 goals per game. New England College is 2-for-26 on the power play and 18-for-20 on penalty kills.
- Head coach Kristi Kehoe is in her fourth season at the helm of New England College.
MORE FROM HOLY CROSS Women's Ice Hockey
HOLY CROSS VIDEOLaunch Player
Crusader of the Week: Infiniti Thomas-Waheed
Lehigh Postgame Press Conference
Lafayette Postgame Press Conference