• The Lead: Sophomore quarterback Geoff Wade hit on 17 of 28 passes for 308 yards and a touchdown, as the Holy Cross football team posted a 21-20 victory over Georgetown at Cooper Field.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
• After the game, senior wide receiver Brendan Flaherty was selected as the United States Marines Man of the Match.
• Flaherty caught nine passes for a career-high 196 yards on the afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• The Crusaders opened the scoring at the 9:07-mark of the first quarter on a two-yard touchdown run by freshman tailback Domenic Cozier.
• Georgetown’s Michael Dereus returned the ensuing kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown, to tie the game at 7-7.
• Later in the first quarter, Wade found sophomore wide receiver Martin Dorsey with a six-yard scoring strike to put Holy Cross up 14-7.
• After the Hoyas’ Henry Darmstadter kicked a 46-yard field goal early in the second quarter, Cozier scored his second touchdown of the day on a five-yard run to make the score 21-10.
• Georgetown responded with a four-yard scoring run by Alex Valles to trim the margin to 21-17 at halftime.
• The Hoyas made the score 21-20 midway through the third quarter on a 49-yard Darmstadter field goal.
• The Crusaders were still clinging to a one-point lead late in the fourth quarter, when sophomore linebacker Andre Chevalier intercepted a pass with 2:16 left to play and returned it to the Georgetown 43-yard line.
• Later, after a punt had pinned the Hoyas down on their own one-yard line, senior linebacker Kyle Young intercepted a pass with just 18 seconds left to put the game away.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
• Junior linebacker Nick McBeath finished the game with 10 tackles and one tackle for loss.
• Young added eight tackles and an interception, while Chevalier totaled five tackles, an interception and a pass breakup.
• Junior tailback Diquan Walker led the Holy Cross ground game with 56 yards on just four carries.
• Senior wide receiver Jake Wieczorek totaled 187 all-purpose yards on the afternoon.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
• Flaherty’s 196 receiving yards tied for the fifth-highest single-game total in school history.
• Dorsey’s touchdown reception was the first catch of his collegiate career.
• Holy Cross concludes the season next Saturday, Nov. 12, when it faces Fordham for the Ram-Crusader Cup at iconic Yankee Stadium at 3:00 p.m. Order your tickets today by calling 1-844-GOCROSS or by visiting GoHolyCross.com/tickets. Make sure you don’t miss out on this historic event!