Softball Heads To Harvard Before Opening Patriot League Action At Army West Point
|Holy Cross (3-15) vs Harvard (8-9)|
|Cambridge, Mass. | Soldiers Field|
|ALL TIME SERIES: Harvard Leads, 43-7 | LAST MEETING: Harvard, 10-0, April 26, 2012|
|Tuesday, Mar. 28||3:00 PM (ET)||Presto Stats||The Ivy League Digital Network|
|Holy Cross (3-15) vs Army West Point (20-9)|
|West Point, N.Y. | Softball Complex|
|ALL TIME SERIES: Army Leads, 68-28 | LAST MEETING: Army West Point, 10-2, April 24, 2016|
|Saturday, Apr. 1||3:00 PM (ET)||Sidearm Stats||Patriot League Network|
|Sunday, Apr. 2||12:00 PM (ET)||Sidearm Stats||Patriot League Network|
|Sunday, Apr. 2||2:00 PM (ET)||Sidearm Stats||Patriot League Network|
The Holy Cross softball team will hit the road for four games this week, heading to Harvard on Tuesday, March 28 for a 3:00 p.m. game before opening Patriot League action with a three-game series at Army West Point from April 1-2. Game times in West Point, N.Y. are set for 3:00 p.m. on April 1 and 12:00 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. on April 2.
CRUSADER OF THE WEEK
- Junior third baseman Mandy McCarthy was named Crusader of the Week for competition from March 20-26. Playing in four games at the Stony Brook Invitational, McCarthy led the Crusaders with a .667 batting average (8-for-12), notching three RBIs and a .667 slugging percentage. Click here to read the full story.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- Holy Cross (3-15) is coming off a 1-3 weekend at the Stony Brook Invitational from March 25-26. The Crusaders opened the tournament with a 7-2 win over Brown before coming up short in their final three contests.
- Leading Holy Cross at the plate is junior first baseman Taylor Moss, batting .373 with 19 hits, 13 RBIs, a .451 slugging percentage and four doubles. Moss’ .373 batting average ranks eighth in the conference.
- Joining Moss in fueling the Crusaders’ offense is senior second baseman Emily Krisanda who leads the team with 21 hits, including a double and a home run. She also holds a.368 batting average, which is 10th in the Patriot League. Krisanda owns a .439 slugging percentage and has driven in six runs on the year.
- McCarthy is on a five-game hitting streak, most recently going 8-for-12 (.667) at the plate over the course of four games at the Stony Brook Invitational. She is batting .353 on the season with 18 hits, nine RBIs and three doubles.
- Sophomore right-handed pitcher Alexandra Held (3-5) has seen the most time in the circle for Holy Cross, making 16 appearances and seven starts. She has a 5.38 earned run average and 30 strikeouts on the year.
- In 18 games played, Holy Cross ranks second in the Patriot League with a .294 batting average and is tied for first in the conference with six triples.
- Head coach Jen Lapicki is in her first season at the helm of Holy Cross.
SCOUTING THE CRIMSON
- Harvard is 8-9 overall, most recently going 1-6 at the Hawaii Invitational from March 14-18.
- The Crusaders trail Harvard, 7-43, in the all-time series, most recently falling to Harvard 10-0 on April 26, 2012. The last time the Crusaders defeated the Crimson was on April 6, 1998 when Holy Cross took down Harvard 2-0.
- Leading the Crimson at the plate is Rhianna Rich, who holds a .417 batting average with 25 hits and seven RBIs.
- Pitcher Kathleen Duncan has made 12 appearances and seven starts for Harvard in the circle, throwing through 40.2 innings for a 3.79 earned run average and 16 strikeouts.
- Head coach Jenny Allard is in her 23rd year at the helm of the Crimson, holding a 268-100-1 record.
SCOUTING THE BLACK KNIGHTS
- The Black Knights stand 20-9 overall this year with a 3-0 Patriot League mark, winning six-straight games and most recently sweeping Colgate in a three-game series last weekend. Army West Point will host Iona on March 29 prior to facing Holy Cross.
- Army West Point leads the all-time series versus Holy Cross, 68-28, as the Black Knights swept the Crusaders last season.
- Army West Point went 39-20 last year, falling to Boston University in the Patriot League Championship game.
- Ranked second in the league with a .438 batting average is Ashley Yoo who shares the team-lead for Army West Point with 28 hits. She adds 13 runs scored, 13 RBIs and a .516 slugging percentage at the plate.
- Emily Balleseros joins Yoo in leading the Black Knights’ offense, posting 28 hits, 10 extra-base hits, 21 RBIs and 14 runs scored with a .341 batting average and .488 slugging percentage.
- Pitcher Caroline Smith is first in the Patriot League with her a 1.87 earned run average, making the most appearances in the circle for Army West Point and pitching through 71.0 innings with an 8-2 record and six complete games.
- Michelle DePolo is in her eighth season as the head coach of Army West Point, holding a 37-21 all-time record with the Black Knights.
- Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossSoftballand on Facebook. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here.