Softball Takes On Boston University For Turnpike Trophy Series
|Holy Cross (5-16) vs Boston University (8-20)|
|Boston, Mass. | Bu Softball Field|
|ALL TIME SERIES: Boston University Leads, 38-8 | LAST MEETING: Boston University, 4-3, May 1, 2016|
|Saturday, April 8||12:00 PM (ET)||Sidearm Stats||N/A|
|Saturday, April 8||2:00 PM (ET)||Sidearm Stats||N/A|
|Sunday, April 9||12:00 PM (ET)||Sidearm Stats||N/A|
The Holy Cross softball team returns to action from April 8-9 to face Boston University for a three-game Patriot League series on the road as part of the Turnpike Trophy rivalry series. The Crusaders will take on the Terriers in a doubleheader on Saturday starting at 12:00 p.m. before playing a third game at 12:00 p.m. the following day.
WAHLER NAMED PATRIOT LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE WEEK AND CRUSADER OF THE WEEK
- Helping the Crusaders to a 2-1 weekend against Army West Point on April 1-2, sophomore shortstop Taylor Wahler held a .500 batting average to lead Holy Cross at the plate and earn Patriot League Player of the Week and C&R Tire Crusader of the Week honors. Click here to read about her Patriot League Player of the Week recognition and here to read the press release about her being named the C&R Tire Crusader of the Week.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- Holy Cross (5-16, 2-1 Patriot League) is off to its best start in conference play since 2014, after coming off a 2-1 series win over Army West Point in the Crusaders’ Patriot League opener from April 1-2. Holy Cross fell to the Black Knights, 7-6 in game one before taking game two (4-2) and game three (5-2).
- Wahler leads Holy Cross at the plate, batting .368 with a .515 slugging percentage, 25 hits and two triples. Wahler has seven RBIs on the year and has batted .500 (11-for-22) over the past six games, tallying at least two hits in five-straight games and at least one hit in six-straight games.
- Also fueling the Crusaders’ offense is senior second baseman Emily Krisanda, who is second on the team with a .352 batting average, 24 hits and a .471 slugging percentage. Krisanda leads the Crusaders with two home runs on the year and has nine RBIs.
- Junior third baseman Mandy McCarthy has notched at least one hit in eight-straight games while batting .520 (13-for-25) during this span. McCarthy ranks third on the team with a .344 batting average and 21 hits and is second on the team with 10 RBIs.
- Sophomore pitcher Alexandra Held (3-5) has seen the most time in the circle for Holy Cross, owning a 5.43 ERA and 32 strikeouts with 18 appearances and eight starts through 59.1 innings pitched. Held picked up her first career save in the 5-2 win at Army on April 2.
- Junior pitcher Katy Watson also picked up her first career save last weekend in the 4-2 win over Army on April 2. In nine innings pitched over the weekend, Watson held a 2.33 ERA with six strikeouts.
- Head coach Jen Lapicki is in her first year at the helm of the Crusaders.
SCOUTING THE TERRIERS
- Boston University is 8-20 and 0-3 in conference play after falling to Lehigh in three games during the two team’s Patriot League opening series from March 25-26.
- Last season, Boston University won the Patriot League and advanced to the NCAA Tournament with a 28-24 overall record and 11-6 conference mark.
- The Crusaders and the Terriers are 5-5 over the last 10 meetings.
- Leading the Terriers at the plate is Moriah Connolly with a .359 batting average, 27 runs scored, 33 hits and a conference-leading 24 stolen bases.
- Both Gabby Martinez and Alex Heinen share the team lead of 17 RBIs.
- Pitcher Makinna Akers (4-6) has made the most appearances in the circle for Boston University and holds a 3.52 ERA with 27 strikeouts.
- Head coach Ashley Waters is in her second season with Boston University.
- This weekend’s matchup will serve as part of the second annual Turnpike Trophy competition where Holy Cross and Boston University square off throughout the year. Boston University currently holds a 13-1 lead.
- This athletic series between the in-state Patriot League rivals awards points for all head-to-head victories in both the regular season and postseason, with the Turnpike Trophy going to the school which accumulates the most points at the end of the academic year.
- Follow the live action on Twitter @TurnpikeTrophy.
- Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossSoftball and on Facebook. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here.