Softball To Play Six Games Throughout The Week
|Holy Cross (5-19, 2-4 Patriot League) vs Marist (20-13, 3-3 MAAC)|
|Worcester, Mass. | Freshman Field|
|ALL TIME SERIES: Marist Leads, 9-5 | LAST MEETING: Marist, 2-1, April 20, 2016|
|Wednesday, April 12||2:35 PM (ET)||NeuLion Stats||Patriot League Network
|Wednesday, April 12||4:35 PM (ET)||NeuLion Stats||Patriot League Network|
|Holy Cross (5-19, 2-4 Patriot League) vs Brown (11-19, 3-5 Ivy League)|
|Providence, R.I. | Brown Softball Field|
|ALL TIME SERIES: Brown Leads, 20-10 | LAST MEETING: Brown, 7-5, March 26, 2017|
Thursday, April 13
|3:30 PM (ET)||Presto Stats||N/A|
|Holy Cross (5-19, 2-4 Patriot League) vs Lehigh (18-15, 5-1 Patriot League)|
|Worcester, Mass. | Freshman Field|
|ALL TIME SERIES: Lehigh Leads, 79-19 | LAST MEETING: Holy Cross, 4-3, May 8, 2016|
|Saturday, April 15||12:05 PM (ET)||NeuLion Stats||N/A|
|Saturday, April 15||2:05 PM (ET)||N/A|
|Sunday, April 16||12:05 PM (ET)||N/A|
The Holy Cross softball team will return to Worcester for its home opener against Marist on Wednesday, April 12 at Freshman Field before competing in four additional games throughout the week. The Crusaders will face Marist in a doubleheader starting at 2:35 p.m. on April 12, before heading to Brown on April 13 at 3:30 p.m. and returning home for the weekend to host Lehigh in a three-game series from April 15-16 with games starting at 12:05 p.m. on each day.
The Crusaders’ home opener on April 12 will be broadcasted live on the Patriot League Network and feature Justin Moore and Scott Sudikoff, who will be calling the game.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- Holy Cross (5-19, 2-4 Patriot League) looks to bounce back after most recently dropping three decisions to Boston University on the road from April 8-9.
- The Crusaders went 2-0 to start the year for the first time in 17 seasons with victories over Hampton and Gardner-Webb from Feb. 17-18, and additionally took down Brown on March 25, before defeating Army West Point twice on April 2 in the three-game series.
- Sophomore shortstop Taylor Wahler has recorded at least one hit in the past eight of nine games played.
- Wahler leads the Crusaders on the season with a .346 batting average, which ranks ninth in the Patriot League, a .487 slugging percentage, which is 10th in the Patriot League, 27 hits and two triples.
- Three Crusaders join Wahler in batting over .300 this season, including junior third baseman Mandy McCarthy (.338), senior second baseman Emily Krisanda (.325) and junior first baseman Taylor Moss (.313). Moss leads Holy Cross with 16 RBIs, while Krisanda has recorded a team-leading five doubles.
- Over the last 10 games played, McCarthy has batted .448 (13-for-29) with three extra-base hits, six RBIs, a .621 slugging percentage and a perfect fielding percentage.
- In the circle for the Crusaders, junior pitcher Katy Watson (1-9) leads the team with a 5.79 ERA through 15 appearances, eight starts and 42.1 innings pitched. Sophomore pitcher Alexandra Held (3-7) has seen the most time in the circle for the Crusaders, making 20 appearances and 10 starts. Through 68 innings pitched, she holds a 5.87 ERA with a team-leading 37 strikeouts.
- Head coach Jen Lapicki is in her first year at the helm of the Crusaders.
SCOUTING THE RED FOXES
- Marist stands 20-13 and 3-3 in the MAAC after most recently splitting a doubleheader with Iona on Sunday, April 9.
- Last season, the Red Foxes went 45-13 and 16-4 in conference play, winning the MAAC title and advancing to the NCAA Tournament.
- Marist leads the all-time series against the Crusaders, 9-5, as Holy Cross fell to the Red Foxes in a doubleheader last season on April 20 in the two teams’ most recent action.
- Six batters in Marist’s lineup are batting over .300, as Gabriel Kelliher leads the way with a .333 batting average and .552 slugging percentage. Rebecca Freeman is just behind her with a .327 batting average, leading the Red Foxes at the plate with 35 hits, four doubles, five homers and 26 RBIs.
- Jessi Van Alphen (7-2) has pitched the most innings for Marist, leading the way with a 1.25 ERA. She has 47 strikeouts this season.
- Joe Ausanio is in his ninth season as head coach of Marist.
SCOUTING THE BEARS
- Brown is 11-19 overall and 3-5 in the Ivy League after splitting a doubleheader with Pennsylvania on April 8.
- Holy Cross and Brown are 1-1 on the season after competing twice at the Stony Brook Invitational earlier in the year. Holy Cross defeated Brown, 7-2 on March 25, before falling to the Bears, 7-5, to conclude action at the tournament on March 26. Brown leads the all-time series, 20-10, but the Crusaders have won six of the past 10 meetings between the two teams.
- Leading the way at the plate for Brown is Christina Andrews, who holds a .348 batting average, .576 slugging percentage, 32 hits, seven doubles, four homers and 16 RBIs.
- Katie Orona has made the most appearances in the circle for the Bears, pitching through 77.1 innings with a 3.26 ERA and 42 strikeouts.
- Head coach Katie Flynn is in her fifth year at the helm of Brown.
SCOUTING THE MOUNTAIN HAWKS
- Lehigh is second in the Patriot League with a 5-1 record and 18-15 overall mark. The Mountain Hawks are coming off a 3-0 sweep over Bucknell from April 8-9. Lehigh will take on Fordham in a doubleheader on April 12 before heading to Worcester.
- Last year, Lehigh went 36-16 and 13-4 in the Patriot League, earning the top seed in the conference tournament.
- The Crusaders went 1-3 last season against the Mountain Hawks, defeating Lehigh, 4-3 on May 8 in the two teams’ most recent action.
- Four different hitters in the Mountain Hawks’ lineup are batting over .300, including Nicole Yozzo, Ashley Quidolit Rabago, Mary-Hannah Smith and Ashley Cole.
- Christine Cambell (10-4) leads Lehigh and ranks third in the conference with a 2.04 ERA, 60 strikeouts and 10 wins through 92.2 innings pitched, 18 appearances and 12 starts.
- Head coach Fran Troyan is in his 22nd season as head coach of the Mountain Hawks with a 721-373-6 overall record.
- Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossSoftballand on Facebook. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here.