Crusaders Edge Brown 4-3 On The Road
Score: Holy Cross 4, Brown 3
Records: Holy Cross (7-20, 2-4 Patriot League); Brown (11-20, 3-5 Ivy League)
Pitching Decision: W: Alexandra Held (5-7) | L: Meghan Wimmer (5-7)
Date: April 13, 2017
Time: 3:30 p.m.
Location: Providence, R.I. (Brown Softball Field)
The Lead: Junior third baseman Mandy McCarthy batted .750 (3-for-4) with two RBIs and a home run, as the Holy Cross softball team edged Brown, 4-3, in Providence in non-conference action on Thursday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Crusaders got runners on base and took a 1-0 lead in the first inning with junior first baseman Taylor Moss picking up the RBI on a single to right field that plated senior second baseman Emily Krisanda from second base.
- Holy Cross held the lead up until the bottom of the fourth inning when Brown rallied for two hits and a sacrifice fly to match the Crusaders’ run to tie the game at 1-1.
- Holy Cross answered right away in the top of the fifth inning, regaining the lead on a two-run homer to left field hit by McCarthy to give the Crusaders a 3-1 advantage.
- The Crusaders tacked on one more run in the top of the seventh inning with Moss registering her second RBI of the day, as Holy Cross expanded out to a 4-1 lead.
- The Bears narrowed the gap to one run to make it a 4-3 game in the bottom of the seventh inning with a RBI double hit by Annie Scarangella down the first base line, but the Crusaders found the final outs of the game to claim the victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Holy Cross was led by McCarthy, who batted .750 with two RBIs and a homer. Moss also drove in two runs, including the game-winning RBI.
- Holy Cross led 7-6 in hits.
- Holy Cross left eight runners on base, while Brown left three base runners stranded.
- Sophomore pitcher Alexandra Held threw a complete seven innings for Holy Cross to earn the win.
- Meghan Wimmer pitched four innings for Brown, allowing three runs to take the loss.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- Holy Cross went 2-1 against Brown on the season. The Crusaders have won six of the past 10 games against the Bears
- McCarthy’s home run was her second of the season and fifth of her career. She now leads the team this season with a .346 batting average, five doubles and two home runs.
- McCarthy has notched at least one hit in the past 12 of 14 games played, while sophomore shortstop Taylor Wahler has recorded at least one hit in the past 10 of 12 games played. McCarthy has batted .452, while Wahler has batted .356 through the past 14 games.
- Held pitched her fourth complete game of the season.
- Holy Cross returns home to Freshman Field to host Lehigh in a three-game Patriot League series from April 15-16.
- Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossSoftball and on Facebook. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here.