Softball Drops a Single Game in Extra Innings to Hartford
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross softball team lost to the Hartford Hawks, 5-3, in nine innings on April 12. Junior Alexandra Held pitched eight innings and recorded a career-high 11 strikeouts in the circle. Sophomore Sydney Behrens notched her first triple of the season with two RBIs and two hits.
- Held hit a sacrifice bunt to help freshman Bella Jankowski advance to second base.
- Sophomore Carley Boothe was walked by the Hartford pitcher.
- Sophomore Sydney Behrens hit a triple to center field to send Jankowski and Boothe home and tie the game, 2-2.
- Hartford scored one run in the seventh to extend its lead to 3-2.
- Senior Mandy McCarthy hit a single to find first base.
- Freshman Hannah Horton hit a sacrifice bunt to allow McCarthy to advance to second.
- Senior Savannah Young hit a ground ball to Hartford's short stop who made the out to first base, but McCarthy was able to advance to third.
- McCarthy then scored on a wild pitch to tie the game, 3-3, and send it into extra innings.
- Both teams went scoreless through the eighth inning.
- The Hawks scored two runs in the ninth inning and secured the win, 5-3.
- Held had four strikeouts in the third inning alone and recorded a career-high 11 strikeouts on the day.
- Behrens hit her first triple of the season adding two RBIs with two hits.
The Crusaders will host Boston University in a three-game series starting April 13 at 4:30 p.m.