Holy Cross Downs Army in Doubleheader
WORCESTER, Mass. - With help from stellar pitching and a walk-off single, the Holy Cross Crusaders defeated the Army Black Knights in both games of the doubleheader, 5-3 and 5-4. This is the first time since 2013 the Crusaders have taken two games in a multiple-game series against Army. Senior Katy Watson improved to 7-9 on the season after pitching seven innings with eight strikeouts in the first win. Junior Alexandra Held got the second win, and is 4-9 on the season after pitching seven innings with five strikeouts.
- Junior Jackie Brewster went 5-6 through two games with four RBIs and had the game-winning run in the second game.
- Senior Savannah Young hit a walk-off single in the second game to push the Crusaders past the Black Knights.
- Senior Mandy McCarthy went 2-7 with a triple and two RBIs.
|Army West Point||0||0||0||1||0||2||0||3||6||1|
- Holy Cross tallied four runs and three hits in the second inning to take a 4-0 lead.
- Senior Taylor Moss recorded a singled through the right side.
- With Neil pinch running for Moss, Muniz hit a sacrifice bunt to allow Neil to advance to second.
- Sophomore Sydeny Burr walked and sophomore Sydney Behrens popped up to first base.
- Freshman Alyssa Gutierrez was walked, and with the bases loaded, Brewster hit a single up the middle and recorded an RBI allowing Neil to score.
- Freshman Bella Jankowski was walked and forced Burr to score.
- Senior Mandy McCarthy notched two RBIs with a single to left field.
- Brewster, Jankowski and McCarthy loaded the bases in the sixth inning after a single from Brewster and a wild pitch. McCarthy reached after a fielder's choice.
- Jankowski was able to score off an error by the Army infield and extend the lead to 5-3.
|Army West Point||0||0||0||0||1||3||0||4||7||0|
- Holy Cross got the scoring started off in the third with a double from Brewster to send Behrens home.
- McCarthy sent a triple to right field and was able to score on a wild pitch while Young was batting.
- Holy Cross went up, 2-0, after the fourth inning.
- Down 4-2 going into the bottom of the seventh inning, junior Taylor Wahler got the Crusaders on base with a single to left field.
- Behrens was right behind Wahler with a single of her own, and then Neil came in to pinch run for Behrens.
- Gutierrez hit a sacrifice bunt to allow Wahler to advance to third and Neil to second.
- Brewster came up to bat and hit a single to center field. Wahler and Neil both scored to tie the game, 4-4.
- Jankowski hit a single up the middle, and Brewster moved to third.
- Young hit a walk-off single, which allowed Brewster to score the game-winning run.
- The Crusaders will look to complete the three-game sweep with the final game against Army tomorrow, April 22. First pitch is set for 12 p.m.