Volleyball Closes Eight Match Road Slate At American And Loyola Maryland
|Match 24: HOLY CROSS (6-17, 2-8 PL) VS. AMERICAN (20-6, 10-0 PL)|
|DATE:||Fri., Oct. 28 at 7:00 p.m.||LOCATION:||Washington, D.C.|
|SERIES RECORD:||American Leads, 32-0||LAST MEETING:||3-0, American (Oct. 1, 2016)|
|LIVE STATS:||Presto Sports||LIVE VIDEO:||N/A|
|Match 25: HOLY CROSS (6-17, 2-8 PL) VS. LOYOLA MARYLAND (4-18, 2-8 PL)|
|DATE:||Sat., Oct. 29 at 2:00 p.m.||LOCATION:||Baltimore, Md.|
|SERIES RECORD:||Loyola (Md.) Leads, 5-3||LAST MEETING:||3-1, Loyola (Md.) (Sept. 30, 2016)|
|LIVE STATS:||Game-Center||LIVE VIDEO:||Game-Center|
The Holy Cross volleyball team is set to conclude its regular season road slate with two conference matches this weekend. The Crusaders will head to Washington, D.C. on Friday, Oct. 28 to face American before heading to Baltimore, Md. to play Loyola Maryland on Saturday, Oct. 29.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- Holy Cross enters the weekend with a 6-17 overall record and 2-8 mark in Patriot League action after most recently falling to Army West Point and Colgate on the road.
- Leading the way for Holy Cross is senior co-captain outside hitter Mandy Sifferlen who has tallied double-digit kills in the past 36 of 37 matches, leading the team in kills in the last 30 of 32 contests. Sifferlen continues to be dominant at the net, leading the conference and ranking ninth in the nation with 4.75 kills per set, while her 375 kills (.236 hitting percentage) this season are 16th in the nation and second in the Patriot League, good for ranking in the school’s top 10 single-season records. She averages 5.17 points per set, which are 11th in the nation and first in the conference.
- Junior co-captain libero M.C. Magner currently is second in the Patriot League with 331 digs and 4.19 digs per set.
- Freshman setter Lizzie Webb is fourth in the conference with 26 service aces (0.35 aces per set), while her 650 assists (8.67 assists per set) are third.
- Sophomore middle hitter Kristen Somerville has posted 55 blocks to lead the Crusaders, as junior middle hitter Mary Mullen is just behind her with 51 stuffs. Somerville averages a .210 hitting percentage with 89 kills.
BEHIND THE SHIELD
- Go behind the scenes and follow the Holy Cross volleyball team this season by tuning into GoHolyCross.com’s “Behind the Shield” series. Click here to follow the Crusaders through the 2016 season. In volleyball's episode three, seniors Sifferlen and Emily Popp, along with Webb and head coach Melissa Batie-Smoose discuss how a shift in the energy, determination and focus has helped the team come together and strive for success on the court.
ON THE RADAR FOR ALL-TIME CAREER RECORDS
- Popp holds the Holy Cross all-time record with 1,327 career digs.
- Sifferlen has 1,212 career kills, which are third all-time in the program’s history. She needs 34 more kills to rank second all-time.
- Mullen currently ranks third all-time in the program’s history with 230 career blocks and needs three more blocks to move up to the second-place spot. She needs 13 more stuffs to set a new Holy Cross record.
- Magner is now ranked ninth all-time in program history with 953 career digs and is 139 digs away from ranking eighth.
- Magner is 34 digs away from ranking 10th all-time in school history in single-season digs.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- American is first in the Patriot League with a 10-0 mark, holding a 20-6 overall record this season. The Eagles are coming off of back-to-back sweeps over Lafayette and Bucknell last weekend. Ten out of the last 11 matches played by American have been won in three sets.
- The Crusaders fell to the Eagles, 3-0, earlier this season at the Holy Cross Field House on Oct. 1. Somerville stuffed a career-best seven blocks in that match, as Sifferlen led with 18 kills. To read the recap, click here.
- American leads the conference in kills (1,149), hitting percentage (.263), service aces (163) and blocks (185). The Eagles have three out of the top 10 hitters in the Patriot League in Vela McBride, Aleksandra Kazala and Shannon Webb. Webb along with Kennedy Etheridge stand as two of the top 10 servers in the conference.
- American’s roster is equipped with five student-athletes who lead the league in five separate categories (Kazala, 380 kills; Loren McKenzie, 94 blocks; Etheridge, 881 assists; McBride, .369 hitting percentage; and Webb, 34 service aces). Kristen Largay has recorded 326 digs for the Eagles’ team lead.
SCOUTING THE GREYHOUNDS
- Loyola (Md.) is 4-18 and 2-8 overall after most recently dropping a 3-0 decision to Lehigh and taking down Lafayette in five sets. The Greyhounds will face Army West Point on Friday, Oct. 28 before hosting the Crusaders.
- Holy Cross was defeated by Loyola (Md.), 3-1, earlier this season in Worcester on Sept. 30. Webb posted a double-double in the loss, as Sifferlen led with 19 kills and a .242 hitting percentage. The Greyhounds lead the all-time series, 5-3. To read the recap, click here.
- Loyola (Md.) is led by Ann Ernst who has 270 kills, averaging 3.60 kills per set, which are third in the conference. Erin Cunningham is third in the Patriot League and leads the Greyhounds with 239 digs in the back row, as Haley Puddy has posted 62 blocks for the team lead at the net.
- There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here.