Volleyball Returns Home To Host Navy And Lafayette
|Match 26: HOLY CROSS (7-18, 3-9 PL) VS. NAVY (17-7, 7-5 PL)|
|DATE:||Fri., Nov. 4 at 7:05 p.m.||LOCATION:||Worcester, Mass.|
|SERIES RECORD:||Navy Leads, 35-13||LAST MEETING:||3-2, Navy (Oct. 8, 2016)|
|LIVE STATS:||NeuLion||LIVE VIDEO:||Patriot League Network|
|Match 27: HOLY CROSS (7-18, 3-9 PL) VS. LAFAYETTE (4-18, 2-10 PL)|
|DATE:||Sat., Nov. 5 at 4:05 p.m.||LOCATION:||Worcester, Mass.|
|SERIES RECORD:||Holy Cross Leads, 26-25||LAST MEETING:||3-1, Holy Cross (Oct. 7, 2016)|
|LIVE STATS:||NeuLion||LIVE VIDEO:||N/A|
After playing eight matches on the road, the Holy Cross volleyball team returns home to the newly renovated Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex, where the Crusaders will host two Patriot League opponents. Holy Cross will face Navy on Friday, Nov. 4 at 7:05 p.m. before taking on Lafayette on Saturday, Nov. 5 at 4:05 p.m.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- Splitting their final two regular season road matches of the year, the Crusaders are 7-18 overall and 3-9 in the Patriot League. Most recently, Holy Cross fell to American, 3-0, on Oct. 28, before defeating Loyola Maryland in four sets the next day. The Crusaders stand sixth in the Patriot League.
- Senior co-captain outside hitter Mandy Sifferlen ranks eighth in the nation and is at the top of the conference with 4.74 kills per set, while her 408 kills are second in the Patriot League and 17th in the nation. Sifferlen’s 5.19 points per set are first in the conference and 12th in the nation.
- Sifferlen has tallied double-digit kills in the past 37 of 39 matches, leading the team in kills in the last 32 of 34 contests. She has 14 double-doubles this season.
- Sophomore middle hitter Kristen Somerville leads the team with 58 blocks, as junior middle hitter Mary Mullen is just behind her with 57 stuffs.
- Freshman setter Lizzie Webb has a team-best 711 assists, while her 0.33 service aces per set and 27 service aces are fourth in the conference.
- In the back row, junior co-captain libero M.C. Magner stands third in the conference with 4.10 digs per set and 353 total digs. The Crusaders rank fifth in the Patriot League with 1,284 digs.
ON THE RADAR FOR ALL-TIME RECORDS
- Sifferlen has 1,245 career kills, which are third all-time in the program’s history. She is one kill away from ranking second.
- Sifferlen’s 408 kills this season are good for ranking third in the school’s all-time records. She is two kills away from her second-place record set last year and needs 35 more kills to set a new school record.
- Webb needs 92 more assists to make the all-time single season records list.
- Mullen currently ranks third all-time in the program’s history with 236 career blocks. She needs eight more stuffs to set a new Holy Cross record.
- Senior defensive specialist Emily Popp holds the Holy Cross all-time record with 1,342 career digs.
- Magner is ranked ninth all-time in program history with 975 career digs and is 117 digs away from ranking eighth.
- Magner is 12 digs away from ranking 10th all-time in school history in single-season digs.
- Sifferlen has 819 career digs and is 74 digs away from ranking 10th all-time in the school’s history.
BEHIND THE SHIELD
- Go behind the scenes and follow the Holy Cross volleyball team this season by tuning into GoHolyCross.com’s “Behind the Shield” series. Click here to follow the Crusaders through the 2016 season. In volleyball's episode three, Sifferlen, Popp, Webb and head coach Melissa Batie-Smoose discuss how a shift in the energy, determination and focus has helped the team come together and strive for success on the court.
SCOUTING THE MIDSHIPMEN
- Navy (17-7 overall, 7-5 Patriot League) sits fourth in the conference after most recently dropping 3-0 and 3-2 decisions to American and Colgate, respectively.
- Earlier this season, the Crusaders fell to the Midshipmen in a five-set thriller on Oct. 8 in Annapolis, Md. Sifferlen tallied a double-double of 29 kills and 16 digs in the loss. To read the story, go here.
- The Midshipmen holds their opponents to the lowest hitting percentage in the conference (.158), while leading the Patriot League in assists (1,256), kills per set (13.27) and digs (1,439).
- Navy has two of the top 10 servers in the league in Sydney Shearn (25) and Gabriela Martin (18). Leading the way on offense for the Midshipmen is Dorothy Murray with 162 kills (.256 hitting percentage). Katie Patrick leads Navy at the net with 67 blocks, as Shearn holds a team-best 381 digs in the back row.
SCOUTING THE LEOPARDS
- Lafayette is 4-18 overall and 2-10 in the conference after most recently falling to Loyola (Md.) and defeating Bucknell last weekend. The Leopards will travel to Army West Point on Nov. 4 before heading to Worcester.
- The Crusaders took down Lafayette in four sets on the road in the two teams’ first meeting earlier this season on Oct. 7. Sifferlen led the way with 16 kills in the victory. To read the recap, click here.
- With 126 service aces, Lafayette is third in the Patriot League. Elizabeth Walsh leads the Leopards with 156 kills, as Kelly Flynn has a team-best 38 blocks. As a libero, Katie Kidder leads Lafayette with 246 digs.