Volleyball Hosts Bucknell Before Concluding Its Season Against Lehigh On Senior Day
|Match 28: HOLY CROSS (8-19, 4-10 PL) VS. BUCKNELL (5-21, 3-11 PL)|
|DATE:||Fri., Nov. 11 at 7:05 p.m.||LOCATION:||Worcester, Mass.|
|SERIES RECORD:||Bucknell Leads, 36-15||LAST MEETING:||3-0, Holy Cross (Oct. 15, 2016)|
|LIVE STATS:||NeuLion||LIVE VIDEO:||Patriot League Network|
|Match 29: HOLY CROSS (8-19, 4-10 PL) VS. LEHIGH (13-15, 8-6 PL)|
|DATE:||Sat., Nov. 12 at 4:05 p.m.||LOCATION:||Worcester, Mass.|
Lehigh Leads, 39-11
|LAST MEETING:||3-0, Lehigh (Oct. 14, 2016)|
|LIVE STATS:||NeuLion||LIVE VIDEO:||Patriot League Network|
The Holy Cross volleyball team will conclude its season at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex with two Patriot League opponents this weekend. First, the Crusaders will host Bucknell on Nov. 11 at 7:05 p.m. before wrapping up the year against Lehigh on Senior Day on Nov. 12 at 4:05 p.m.
- Prior to the match against Lehigh, the Holy Cross athletic department and the volleyball program will honor its two seniors for their hard work and dedication to the program over the last four years.
- The two seniors include Emily Popp and Mandy Sifferlen.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- Holy Cross has posted its most wins since 2010 with an 8-19 overall record. Most recently coming off a four-set loss to Navy and 3-1 win over Lafayette, the Crusaders are in sixth place with a 4-10 record in the Patriot League.
- Averaging 15.13 digs per set, the Crusaders rank fourth in the conference with 1,422 digs, which are tied for 10th all-time in Holy Cross history. Leading the back row is junior co-captain libero M.C. Magner, who has 395 digs this season, which are the third most in the Patriot League.
- Sifferlen leads the Patriot League and set a Holy Cross record with 448 kills this season and 4.77 kills per set. Her kills per set rank sixth in the nation, while her kills this year are 14th in the country. Sifferlen has proven to be a force at the net, tallying double-digit kills in the past 39 of 41 matches, leading the team in kills in the last 34 of 36 contests. Her 5.22 points per set lead the conference and are good for ranking 11th nationally. Sifferlen has notched a double-double in three straight matches and has 16 this season.
- Freshman setter Lizzie Webb is third in the conference with 784 assists, while ranking fourth in the Patriot League with 28 service aces. Webb has 215 digs this season, along with 12 double-doubles.
- In the front row, sophomore middle hitter Kristen Somerville leads the team with 67 blocks, as junior middle hitter Mary Mullen is right behind her with 62 stuffs.
ON THE RADAR FOR ALL-TIME RECORDS
- Webb needs 19 more assists to make the all-time single season records list.
- Mullen currently ranks second all-time in the program’s history with 241 career blocks. She needs two more stuffs to set a new Holy Cross record.
- Popp holds the Holy Cross all-time record with 1,363 career digs.
- Magner is ranked ninth all-time in program history with 1,016 career digs and is 76 digs away from ranking eighth.
- Sifferlen has 848 career digs and is 45 digs away from ranking 10th all-time in the school’s history.
- Magner now ranks eighth all-time in program history with 395 digs this season. She needs nine more digs to move up to the seventh-place spot.
- Sifferlen’s 1,285 career kills rank second all-time in program history.
VOLLEYBALL TRANSITIONS TO THE NEWLY RENOVATED HART CENTER
- The Holy Cross volleyball team had its first practice at the newly renovated Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex on Nov. 3, before hosting two matches there for the first time this season on Nov. 4-5.
SCOUTING THE BISON
- Bucknell sits eighth in the Patriot League with a 3-11 mark and 5-21 overall record. The Bison most recently fell to Loyola Maryland in four sets on Nov. 4.
- The Crusaders swept the Bison earlier this season on Oct. 15, as sophomore right side hitter Lynsey Petersen led Holy Cross with a .421 hitting percentage. To read the recap, click here.
- Bucknell is third in the conference in team blocks with 203 stuffs this season. Two of the top 10 blockers in the conference are on the Bison’s squad, including Mimi Richards, who ranks third in the league with 74 blocks (1.00 blocks per set) and Bridgette Holland who ranks 10th in the conference with 0.80 blocks per set and 78 total blocks.
- Holland additionally leads Bucknell with 224 kills. In the back row, the Bison are led by Kristen Parks who has 247 digs. The Bison hold their opponents to a .199 hitting percentage, which is the fifth-best in the Patriot League.
SCOUTING THE MOUNTAIN HAWKS
- Lehigh holds an 8-6 record in the Patriot League, tied with Navy in fourth place. This weekend will decide which team advances to the Patriot League Tournament, as the Mountain Hawks and the Midshipmen continue to battle for the fourth-place spot. Coming off a three-set loss to Colgate and a 3-0 win over American, Lehigh stands 13-15 overall. The Mountain Hawks will travel to Army West Point on Nov. 11 before heading to Worcester.
- Holy Cross dropped a 3-0 decision to Lehigh in the two teams’ last meeting earlier this season on Oct. 14, where Sifferlen posted 17 kills in the loss. To read the recap, click here.
- Lehigh ranks fourth in the Patriot League in service aces with 148 this season. Megan Polak leads the Mountain Hawks with 35 service aces, which is third in the conference.
- Two out of the top 10 hitters in the league play for the Mountain Hawks, including Jessica Donaldson, who ranks fifth with 2.78 kills per set and Julia Pressly who is 10th with 2.49 kills per set. Victoria Hemsath leads the Mountain Hawks with 214 kills, as Emily Poole has 65 stuffs for the team-lead in blocks. As a libero, Emily Develle ranks second in the Patriot League with 442 digs.
- There are numerous ways to stay connected with the Holy Cross volleyball team. Follow the Crusaders on Twitter @HCrossVB, on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also get the latest news and results on the team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here.