Baseball Begins 2017 Campaign On Sunday
|Holy Cross (0-0) vs. Central Connecticut (0-0)|
|Sunday, February 19, 2017 // 12:00 p.m.|
|Northborough, Mass. // New England Sports Complex|
The Holy Cross baseball team is set to begin its 2017 campaign this weekend, as the Crusaders play host to Central Connecticut at the New England Baseball Complex in Northborough, Mass. at 12:00 p.m.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- Holy Cross was selected first in this year’s Patriot League Preseason Poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors. To read the press release, click here.
- Senior Anthony Critelli led the Crusaders in RBIs with 41 and tied for the team-lead with nine home runs last season. He posted a .267 batting average and a .462 slugging percentage for the year. On the defensive side of the ball, Critelli held a .996 fielding percentage on the year.
- Senior Brendan King is the Crusaders’ top returning starting pitcher, who posted a 7-2 record in 13 appearances during the 2016 season. Last year, he tossed a team-leading 74 strikeouts through 82.1 innings pitched, which included three complete games.
- Senior Bill Schlich led Holy Cross with a .313 batting average and a .478 slugging percentage in 2016. He also tallied a team-high 19 extra-base hits with 17 doubles and a pair of triples while scoring 27 runs on the year.
- The Crusaders return 24 players from last year’s roster, and welcome nine freshmen to the squad.
- Head coach Greg DiCenzo is set to enter his 10th season with the program.
KING AND CRITELLI EARN PRESEASON MAJOR AWARDS
- King and Critelli were named the Patriot League Preseason Pitcher of the Year and Player of the Year, respectively, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors.
- In addition, Schlich and senior Jon Escobar were named to the Preseason All-Patriot League team.
- To read the press release, click here.
SCOUTING THE BLUE DEVILS:
- Central Connecticut posted a 23-34 record last season with a 15-17 mark in the Northeast Conference (NEC).
- Dean Lockery led the Blue Devils with a .344 batting average last season while scoring a team-best 32 runs and posting 21 RBIs.
- Andrew Hinckley is Central Connecticut’s top returning pitcher, who posted an ERA of 3.73 through 79.2 innings pitched. He held a record of 8-4 with two saves while tossing 58 strikeouts on the year.
- Head coach Charlie Hickey enters his 18th season with the Blue Devils in 2017.