Baseball Heads To Auburn For Three Games This Weekend
|Holy Cross (0-1) vs. Auburn (4-1) // Three-Game Series|
|Auburn, Ala. // Plainsman Park|
|Friday, Feb. 24||3:00 PM||N/A||Click Here||Click Here|
|Saturday, Feb. 25||1:00 PM||N/A||Click Here||Click Here|
|Sunday, Feb. 26||1:00 PM||SEC Network Plus||Click Here||Click Here|
The Holy Cross baseball team is set to take its first road trip of the season, as the Crusaders head to Auburn to face the Tigers in three games beginning on Friday afternoon.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS:
- The Crusaders fell to Central Connecticut by a score of 3-2 on Sunday afternoon in Northborough, Mass. To read the recap, click here.
- Junior Cam O'Neill registered two RBIs in the loss on a single in the bottom of the ninth inning against the Blue Devils.
- Holy Cross was selected first in this year’s Patriot League Preseason Poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors. To read the press release, click here.
- Senior Anthony Critelli led the Crusaders in RBIs with 41 and tied for the team-lead with nine home runs last season. He posted a .267 batting average and a .462 slugging percentage for the year. On the defensive side of the ball, Critelli held a .996 fielding percentage on the year.
- Senior Brendan King is the Crusaders’ top returning starting pitcher, who posted a 7-2 record in 13 appearances during the 2016 season. Last year, he tossed a team-leading 74 strikeouts through 82.1 innings pitched, which included three complete games.
- Senior Bill Schlich led Holy Cross with a .313 batting average and a .478 slugging percentage in 2016. He also tallied a team-high 19 extra-base hits with 17 doubles and a pair of triples while scoring 27 runs on the year.
- The Crusaders return 24 players from last year’s roster, and welcome nine freshmen to the squad.
- Head coach Greg DiCenzo enters his 10th season with the program.
KING AND CRITELLI EARN PRESEASON MAJOR AWARDS:
- King and Critelli were named the Patriot League Preseason Pitcher of the Year and Player of the Year, respectively, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors.
- In addition, Schlich and senior Jon Escobar were named to the Preseason All-Patriot League team.
- To read the press release, click here.
SCOUTING THE TIGERS:
- Auburn is currently 4-1 overall on the season, having most recently earned a 12-8 victory over Florida A&M at home on Wednesday night. The Tigers also went 3-1 in a four-game series with George Washington this past weekend.
- Dylan Ingram leads Auburn with a .500 batting average through four appearances this season. He has also posted a team-high five RBIs and scored four runs.
- Casey Mize is one of the top returning pitchers for the Tigers, coming off a 2-5 season in which he posted a team-best 3.52 ERA and a team-leading 59 strikeouts.
- Auburn went 23-33 last season with a 8-22 mark in the Southeastern Conference (SEC).
- Head coach Butch Thompson is in his second season with the Tigers.