Baseball Set For Three Games At Southern California
|Holy Cross (1-8) vs. Southern California (8-4) // Three-Game Series|
|Los Angeles, Calif. // Dedeaux Field|
|DATE||TIME (ET)||VIDEO||LIVE STATS|
|Friday, March 10||9:00 PM||Click Here||Click Here|
|Saturday, March 11||5:00 PM||Click Here||Click Here|
|Sunday, March 12||4:00 PM||Click Here||Click Here|
The Holy Cross baseball team is set for three games against Southern California this weekend, beginning on Friday night at 9:00 p.m. eastern time.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS:
- The Crusaders are 1-8 on the season, and have gone 1-4 so far on their road trip in California.
- Senior George Capen pitched four scoreless inning in relief on Tuesday night, earning the first win for the Crusaders this season against California-Riverside. To read the recap, click here.
- Holy Cross was selected first in this year’s Patriot League Preseason Poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors. To read the press release, click here.
- Freshman Austin Masel currently leads the Crusaders with a .429 batting average on the season, and seven runs scored. He also leads the Crusaders with seven multiple-hit games on the year.
- Senior Joe Cravero currently leads the Crusaders’ starting rotation with a 3.72 ERA and 11 strikeouts through 9.2 innings pitched.
- Senior Anthony Critelli led the Crusaders in RBIs with 41 and tied for the team-lead with nine home runs last season. He posted a .267 batting average and a .462 slugging percentage for the year. On the defensive side of the ball, Critelli held a .996 fielding percentage on the year.
- Senior Brendan King is the Crusaders’ top returning starting pitcher, who posted a 7-2 record in 13 appearances during the 2016 season. Last year, he tossed a team-leading 74 strikeouts through 82.1 innings pitched, which included three complete games.
- Senior Bill Schlich led Holy Cross with a .313 batting average and a .478 slugging percentage in 2016. He also tallied a team-high 19 extra-base hits with 17 doubles and a pair of triples while scoring 27 runs on the year.
- The Crusaders return 24 players from last year’s roster, and welcome nine freshmen to the squad.
- Head coach Greg DiCenzo enters his 10th season with the program.
KING AND CRITELLI EARN PRESEASON MAJOR AWARDS:
- King and Critelli were named the Patriot League Preseason Pitcher of the Year and Player of the Year, respectively, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors.
- In addition, Schlich and senior Jon Escobar were named to the Preseason All-Patriot League team.
- To read the press release, click here.
SCOUTING THE TROJANS:
- USC is currently 8-4 on the season, having most recently defeated San Diego State, 1-0, on Tuesday night.
- Lars Nootbaar currently leads the Trojans offense, holding a .395 batting average while leading the team with four home runs and 12 runs scored.
- Mason Perryman leads USC with a 1.38 ERA through 13.0 innings pitched in three appearances on the mound. Mitch Hart currently leads the team with 22 strikeouts in 14.1 innings.
- The Trojans 28-28 last season with a 15-15 mark in Pac-12 play.
- Head coach Dan Hubbs enters his fifth season at USC.