Baseball Begins Patriot League Play Against Navy
Holy Cross Athletics 04-01-2017
|Holy Cross (5-15) vs. Navy (16-9)|
|Sunday: Providence, R.I. (Murray Stadium) | Monday: Worcester, Mass. (Hanover Insurance Park at Fitton Field)|
|DATE||TIME (ET)||VIDEO||LIVE STATS|
|Sunday, April 2||12:30 PM||N/A||Click Here|
|Sunday, April 2||3:30 PM||N/A||Click Here|
|Monday, April 3||11:30 AM||N/A||Click Here|
|Monday, April 3||2:30 PM||N/A||Click Here|
The Holy Cross baseball team is set to begin Patriot League play this weekend, as the Crusaders take on Navy in a four-game series on Sunday and Monday.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS:
- The Crusaders are currently 5-15 overall on the season.
- Holy Cross is coming off a 7-6 loss at Hartford in extra innings on Thursday night. To read the recap, click here.
- Holy Cross was selected first in this year’s Patriot League Preseason Poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors. To read the press release, click here.
- Freshman Austin Masel was named the Patriot League Rookie of the Week on Monday after batting .389 with a pair of runs, seven RBIs and his first career home run in five games. To read the press release, click here. Masel leads the team with a .338 batting average, 12 runs scored and 10 multiple hit games.
- Junior Cam O'Neill has had a strong start to the season, leading Holy Cross with 16 runs batted in and four home runs.
- Senior Joe Cravero leads the Crusaders’ starting rotation with a 3.27 ERA through 22.0 innings pitched. In seven appearances he has amassed a team-leading 22 strikeouts.
- The Crusaders return 24 players from last year’s roster, and welcome nine freshmen to the squad.
- Head coach Greg DiCenzo enters his 10th season with the program.
SHAVING HEADS FOR A CAUSE:
- Prior to the start of the season, the Holy Cross baseball team shaved their heads in support of the Vs. Cancer Foundation. Last year the Crusaders raised over $11,000 in donations to Vs. Cancer, and are looking to increase their total donations this season. In the video below, the team describes why the cause is important to them.
- Click here to view the video.
SCOUTING THE MIDSHIPMEN:
- Navy is currently 16-9 on the season, having most recently defeated Georgetown by a score 6-2 on Wednesday night.
- Logan Knowles leads Navy’s offense with a .381 batting average, along with 30 runs scored, 13 RBIs and 11 extra-base hits.
- Noah Song leads the Midshipmen’s starting rotation with a 3.76 ERA through 38.1 innings pitched. He holds a record of 4-1 and leads the team with 48 strikeouts.
- Navy is the defending Patriot League Champion, and went 43-16-1 overall last year with a 15-5 mark in conference play.
- Head coach Paul Kostacopoulos is in his 12th season with the Midshipmen.
MORE FROM HOLY CROSS Baseball
HOLY CROSS VIDEOLaunch Player
Head Coach Bob Chesney - Mic'd Up
Holy Cross Commencement 2018
2017-18 Year in Review