Baseball Set To Host Bucknell In Four-Game Series This Weekend
|Holy Cross (15-20, 8-4 Patriot League) vs. Bucknell (17-20, 8-4 Patriot League)|
|Worcester, Mass. // Hanover Insurance Park at Fitton Field|
|DATE||TIME (ET)||VIDEO||LIVE STATS|
|Saturday, April 22||2:05 p.m.||Click Here||Click Here|
|Saturday, April 22||5:05 p.m.||Click Here||Click Here|
|Sunday, April 23||1:05 p.m.||Click Here||Click Here|
|Sunday, April 23||4:05 p.m.||Click Here||Click Here|
The Holy Cross baseball team is set to host Patriot League foe Bucknell in a pivotal four-game series beginning this Saturday at 2:05 p.m.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE CRUSADERS
- The Crusaders are currently 15-20 overall on the season with an 8-4 mark in Patriot League play.
- Holy Cross is coming off an 8-3 loss to Siena on Wednesday night in Worcester. To read the recap, click here.
- Senior Anthony Critelli leads the Crusaders with a .321 batting average on the season. He has tallied 18 runs batted in and 18 runs scored while tying for the team lead with six home runs. He also leads the Crusaders with a .541 slugging percentage.
- Freshman Austin Masel has also had a strong season offensively, ranking second on the Crusaders with a .308 batting average. He leads the team with 21 runs scored, and ranks second with 22 RBIs.
- Senior Joe Cravero leads the Crusaders’ starting rotation with a 3.60 ERA through 40.0 innings pitched. In ten appearances he has amassed a team-leading 42 strikeouts. Cravero notched a new career-high with nine strikeouts while earning a win over Lehigh.
- On Wednesday night, senior George Capen broke the school record for career pitching appearances with his 88th.
KING NAMED PITCHER OF THE WEEK
- Senior Brendan King was named the Patriot League Pitcher of the Week after earning a seven-inning shutout victory over Army West Point this past Saturday.
- To read the press release, click here.
PROMOTIONS THIS WEEKEND
- On Saturday, Holy Cross will be hosting Military Appreciation Day. The Crusaders will be selling exclusive hats during the doubleheader, with proceeds benefitting the Home Base Program. Tim Dube, one of the organization’s Veteran Outreach Coordinators, will be throwing out the first pitch prior to Saturday’s contest. Dube is a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army who graduated from the Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD). He deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Freedom’s Sentinel. He will be joined by Holy Cross alumna and Home Base Volunteer Coordinator Joyce Donadio.
- On Sunday, the Crusaders and the Bucknell baseball team will both be wearing Strikeout ALS wristbands in support of the Frates ALS Research and Support Fund as part of their ALS Awareness Game. Pete Frates, a former baseball student-athlete at Boston College, was diagnosed with ALS in 2012. Through the fund started by his family, he has become synonymous with the fight against the disease and the efforts to find a cure.
- Prior to the start of game two of Sunday’s doubleheader, Holy Cross will honor the baseball team’s 13 seniors for their hard work and dedication on and off the field over the past four years. The Crusader seniors to be honored on Sunday include King, Josh Hassell, Bill Schlich, Joe Cravero, Alex Voitik, Capen, Jon Escobar, Zach Fox, Christian Doughty, Critelli, Ben White, Justin Finan and Phil Reese.
- The Dogfather food truck will be at Hanover Insurance Park at Fitton Field on Sunday afternoon, sponsored by the Holy Cross Student Government Association.
SCOUTING THE BISON
- Bucknell is 17-20 on the season with an 8-4 record in the Patriot League entering the weekend series.
- The Bison are coming off a series sweep of Lafayette in Lewisburg, Pa. this past weekend, and a pair of losses to St. Bonaventure on Tuesday night.
- Brett Smith leads the Bison offense with a batting average of .327 on the season. He has tallied 30 runs scored with 19 runs batted in and 15 extra-base hits in 37 appearances.
- Connor Van Hoose has been the top pitcher in Bucknell’s starting rotation, posting a season ERA of 2.50 to date. He has tossed a team-leading 71 strikeouts in 54.0 innings pitched.
- Bucknell went 18-34 last season with an 8-12 Patriot League record. They were eliminated by top-seeded Navy in three games during the conference semifinals.
- Head coach Scott Heather is in his fifth season with the Bison.