Crusaders Downed By Siena 71-65
ALBANY, N.Y. – Nico Clareth scored 29 points to lead Siena to a 71-65 victory over the Holy Cross men’s basketball team at the Times Union Center. The Crusaders fall to 3-8 on the season with the loss, while the Saints improve to 4-9 overall.
Holy Cross was able to hit 46.0 percent of its field goal attempts on the night, while holding the Saints to just 40.8 percent shooting from the floor. But Siena held a 36-28 rebounding advantage and attempted 36 free throws, while the Crusaders went to the line 18 times.
Junior guard Patrick Benzan led Holy Cross with 12 points and five rebounds on the night. Freshman forward Connor Niego finished with 11 points and two assists, while junior forward Jehyve Floyd added 10 points and seven rebounds.
MAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES:
- Following the contest, Niego was selected as the Man of the Match presented by the United States Marines.
- His career-high 11 points came of four of seven shooting from the floor.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Crusaders opened the game by scoring 10 straight points in the first two and half minutes of play, including a pair of three-pointers by Niego.
- Holy Cross was later up 21-13 with 12 minutes left in the first half, before Siena went on a 14-3 run to claim its first lead of the night (27-24).
- The Crusaders would pull back in front by two (30-28), before the Saints closed out the half with a 12-3 spurt to take a 40-33 advantage into the locker room.
- The score stayed close early in the second half, and Holy Cross trailed by just three (52-49) with 11 minutes left in regulation.
- Siena then used a 10-1 run to claim its biggest lead of the night (62-50) with eight minutes remaining.
- The Crusaders refused to go quietly and closed to within five points (66-61) with 1:41 left, after freshman forward Matt Faw scored five straight points.
- But Holy Cross would get no closer than four points down the stretch, as Siena hit five of seven free throws in the final minute to hold on for the win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE:
- The Saints went 26 of 36 at the foul line, the most free throws made or attempted by a Holy Cross opponent all season.
- With his 11 points, Niego became the fifth Holy Cross freshman to score in double-figures in a game this year.
- Holy Cross returns to action on Friday, Dec. 29, when it plays host to Colgate at 7:05 p.m. in its Patriot League opener.
BE PART OF THE ACTION:
- Tickets to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don't miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.
As the calendar year ends, we ask you to help Holy Cross Athletics maintain its forward momentum by supporting the Crusader Athletics Fund. To make your gift, visit GoHolyCross.com/caf or call (877) 433-1843.