Women's Basketball Set To Host Navy On Saturday
|Holy Cross (5-14, 3-5) vs. Navy (14-5, 7-1)|
|Date / Time:||January 28, 2017 / 1:05 p.m.|
|Arena:||Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex (3,536)|
|Series:||Holy Cross leads, 42-17|
|Last Meeting:||Navy 57, Holy Cross 56 on 1/2/17|
|Radio:||Emmanuel Radio, 1230 AM/970 AM
Bob Fouracre, play-by-play
Patriot League Network
|Live Stats:||Neulion Live Stats|
|Notes:||Holy Cross | Navy|
|HC Links:||Tickets | Shop|
|Social Media:||Facebook | Twitter|
SETTING THE STAGE
• The Holy Cross women’s basketball team continues its Patriot League slate on Saturday afternoon as the Crusaders host Navy at the Hart Center at the Luth Athletic Complex at 1:05 p.m.
• Saturday’s game can be viewed via live stream on the Patriot League Network (PatriotLeague.tv), and can be heard on Emmanuel Radio on 1230 AM and 1230radio.com.
• This will be the 60th all-time meeting between Navy and Holy Cross, with the Crusaders holding the series edge at 42-17.
• In games played in Worcester, Holy Cross leads the series at 22-7.
• In the last meeting, Navy earned a narrow 57-56 victory over Holy Cross in Annapolis, Md. on Jan. 2.
• Holy Cross won the first-ever meeting between the two programs on Jan. 18, 1992 by a score of 75-62 in Annapolis.
• Navy has won the last two meeting with Holy Cross.
LAST TIME OUT
• Freshman forward Lauren Manis registered a double-double with a team-leading 19 points and 14 rebounds.
• Junior guard Tricia Byrne posted 14 points with a team-high five assists.
• Junior guard Infiniti Thomas-Waheed also scored in double figures, notching 10 points in the win.
• American got off to a strong start, outscoring the Crusaders 19-5 in the first quarter.
• Holy Cross responded with an 8-2 run to begin the second quarter, cutting the deficit to eight points.
• The Crusaders would post 23 points in the second to head into halftime down by seven (35-28).
• Holy Cross put together a 16-0 run in the third quarter to gain an eight point lead as they headed into the fourth (48-40).
• The Crusaders maintained their lead throughout the fourth, until American managed to tie the game with a layup in the final ten seconds of play.
• Thomas-Waheed drew a foul with just four seconds remaining, and scored the game-winning basket with a free throw to make it 61-60.
• Holy Cross was picked to finish fourth in the 2016-2017 Patriot League preseason poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches and sports information directors.
• The Crusaders are 5-14 on the season with a 3-5 mark in Patriot League play. They have won three of their last four games heading into Saturday.
• Junior guard Infiniti Thomas-Waheed, who was selected to the Patriot League All-Defensive Team in 2015-2016, notched a new career-high 23 points against Bryant, and a new career-high with seven assists at UMass.
• She has scored in double figures in 14 games so far this season, while leading the Crusaders in scoring 11 times.
• She earned Crusader of the Week honors after posting a double-double against Lehigh and 20 points at Lafayette.
• Freshman forward Lauren Manis has led Holy Cross in rebounding 10 times this season, and ranks third in the Patriot League with 8.3 rebounds per game.
• Manis notched her seventh double-double of the season at American, notching 19 points with a career-high 14 rebounds.
• Junior guard Tricia Byrne notched a new career-high in rebounds with eight boards at American.
• Holy Cross ranks first in the Patriot League in blocks per game with 4.5.
SCOUTING REPORT ON NAVY
• The Midshipmen are coming off a 63-58 win over Army West Point this past Saturday.
• Navy enters Saturday’s game with a 14-5 overall record and a 7-1 record in Patriot League play.
• The Midshipmen are currently on a seven-game winning streak.
• Sarita Condie leads Navy in scoring this season, averaging 12.5 points per game while shooting 44.4% from the field. She also boasts a 48.3 shooting percentage from three-point range.
• Justice Swett has been the leading rebounder for the Mids this season, averaging 6.5 boards per game.
• Head coach Stefanie Pemper is currently in her ninth season with Navy.
• The Midshipmen were 15-15 last season with a 9-9 Patriot League record. They were eliminated in the quarterfinal round of the Patriot League Tournament with a 44-42 loss to Loyola.
• Holy Cross returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 1, as the Crusaders travel to Hamilton, N.Y. to take on Colgate in Patriot League action at 7:00 p.m.
• The game will be streamed live online via the Patriot League Network.
Make sure to visit the Holy Cross Team Shop during Saturday’s women’s basketball game against Navy, to receive 10 percent off the Item of the Game!
BE PART OF THE ACTION THIS SEASON
• Single-game tickets, season tickets and mini plans to see the Crusaders are on sale now. Make sure you don’t miss the opportunity to see the best collegiate basketball in Central Massachusetts! Tickets for Holy Cross basketball can be purchased online at GoHolyCross.com/tickets or over the phone by calling 1-844-GOCROSS.
STAY CONNECTED• For everything Holy Cross women’s basketball, follow the team on Twitter (@HCrossWBB), on Facebook and on Instagram. You can also subscribe for email alerts for all news and information on the team by clicking here.