Four Score In Double Figures, But Holy Cross Falls At Brown 82-78
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Four Crusaders scored in double figures, but it was not enough as Holy Cross took a narrow 82-78 loss to Brown on Wednesday night.
Sophomore Lauren Manis led the way, totaling 20 points while shooting 7-for-11 from the field. Senior Infiniti Thomas-Waheed notched 15 points, shooting 6-for-10 and hitting two of three shots from behind the arc. Sophomore Madalyn Smith also had a strong night offensively with 13 points, and senior Tricia Byrne registered 12 points on the night. Brown was led by Shayna Mehta, who scored 28 points for the Bears.
Holy Cross shot 45.6 percent as a team, while the Bears shot 45.6 percent. Both sides recorded 39 rebounds in the contest. The Crusaders hit 51.9 percent (14-for-27) of their shots from three-point range.
WOMAN OF THE MATCH PRESENTED BY THE UNITED STATES MARINES
- Following the game, Manis was selected as the Woman of the Match presented the United States Marines.
- She totaled 20 points with six rebounds, and shot 7-for-11 on the night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Holy Cross and Brown battled back and forth throughout the first quarter, with the lead changing six different times. The Crusaders held a 17-16 advantage at the end of one.
- After the Bears gained a three-point lead early in the second quarter, the Crusaders regained control and ended the half with a 39-32 lead.
- Holy Cross led by as many as nine points in the third quarter, but Brown had an offensive surge that put them back in the lead en route to a 61-55 advantage at the end of three.
- Trailing by 10 points in the fourth, Holy Cross went on a 12-2 run to tie the game up at 69-69. The Crusaders kept the game within two possessions, but could not regain control of the lead in the closing minutes.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The 14 three-pointers from Holy Cross set a new school single-game record.
- Manis registered over 20 points for the fourth time this season.
- Sophomore Megan Swords recorded a new career-high with nine rebounds.
- Holy Cross returns to action this Sunday, Dec. 3, as the Crusaders play host to Albany at 12:05 p.m.