Men's Lacrosse Drops 9-6 Decision at Providence
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team dropped its season opener, 9-6, at Providence on Saturday.
The Friars (1-1, 0-0 BIG EAST) opened the scoring but the Crusaders (0-1, 0-0 PL) took a 2-1 lead to end the opening quarter. Things were knotted a three a piece at halftime, but Providence’s three goal third quarter proved costly for Holy Cross.
The Crusaders narrowed the game within one in the final quarter, but an extra man opportunity for the Friars stretched the lead and Holy Cross fell, 9-6.
Quarter 1 | HC 2 PC 1
- Providence took a 1-0 lead from Nick Hatzipetrakos at 12:34.
- The Crusaders kicked of a two goal run as Connor Waldron scored and was assisted by Logan LeBlond at 8:38. A little over two minutes later, Sen Mullaney scored after being fed by Kevin Kodzis.
Quarter 2 | HC 3 PC 3
- The Friars responded at 9:26 in the second quarter with an extra man goal from Austin Goltz.
- At 7:36 Holy Cross’ Rowan Hart scored his first as a Crusader, also on an extra man opportunity.
- A little over a minute later, Providence’s Zach Masessa evened the game once again at 3-3.
Quarter 3 | HC 3 PC 6
- Despite four saves from Jonathan Tesoro, Providence’s Hatzipetrakos fired off three more goals to extend the Friars lead.
Quarter 4 | HC 6 PC 9
- Holy Cross opened the final quarter with an extra man goal from Justin Lynskey, while Hart assisted.
- Providences’ Hatzipetrakos tallied his fifth of the day before Holy Cross tallied two consecutive goals from Jack Cahill and Drew Babiak to push the Crusaders within one, 7-6. Cahill struck at 11:12 and Babiak at 9:29.
- An extra man opportunity led Providence to close the game with two more goals at 7:31 and even strength at 2:33.
- Logan LeBlond recorded two assists.
- Rowan Hart posted his first points as a Crusader, scoring a goal and adding an assist.
- Jonathan Tesoro posted 10 saves.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross outshot Providence, 36-26.
- The Crusaders picked up 16 ground balls.
- Holy Cross was 2-6 in extra man opportunities.
Holy Cross will open Kuzniewski Field with a 2:00 p.m. game against Vermont on Saturday, Feb. 17.