Men's Lacrosse Upends Colgate, 12-10
HAMILTON, N.Y. - The Holy Cross men’s lacrosse team won its second-consecutive Patriot League game after defeating Colgate, 12-10, on Saturday.
The Raiders (6-6, 2-5 PL) scored the first goal of the game but the Crusaders (4-8, 2-5 PL) battled back and kept the score even through the first half. Colgate held a 6-5 advantage at half time, but Holy Cross outscored Colgate 7-4 in the final 30 minutes of play, including a five goal run to close the game.
- Kevin Kodzis has tallied his fourth-consecutive hat trick after he put up four goals and one assist in the game.
- Sean Mullaney added a five-point performance with four goals and one assist.
- Justin Lynskey scored two goals.
- Jonathan Tesoro made 13 saves.
Quarter 1 | HC 2 ‘Gate 2
- Griffin Brown scored the first goal for Colgate at 13:47.
- Kevin Kodzis scored an unassisted goal at 12:35.
- At 4:43, Colgate’s Chase Wittich gave the Raiders a 2-1 lead.
- Kodzis recorded his second of the day at 1:20.
Quarter 2 | HC 5 ‘Gate 6
- Dan O'Connell and Brad Baker scored to open the second quarter and put the Crusaders ahead, 4-2 at 14:40 and 12:39.
- Colgate rattled off four goals to take a 6-4 lead with 2:10 to play in the quarter.
- The Crusaders put themselves within one as Sean Mullaney scored with 10 seconds remaining in the half, 6-5.
Quarter 3 | HC 7 ‘Gate 8
- Holy Cross scored two man-up goals to open the third quarter from Kodzis (14:33) and Justin Lynskey (12:24).
- Colgate’s Joe Delaney responded with two goals to close the quarter and maintain a one goal lead, 8-7.
Quarter 4 | HC 12 ‘Gate 10
- Colgate scored a man-up goal with 14:20 to play from Mike Hawkins to take a 9-7 lead.
- Griffin Brown scored the final goal for Colgate at 8:44, when the Raiders took a 10-7 lead.
- At 3:39, the Crusaders kicked off a five goal run to defeat the Raiders. The run started with Mullaney.
- Kodzis scored his 20th of the season at 3:00.
- Mullany recorded consecutive goals at 2:27 and 1:52 to put Holy Cross ahead, 11-10.
- With 1:17 to play, Lynskey secured the Crusader win with a goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Holy Cross outshot Colgate, 39-38.
- The Crusaders picked up 22 ground balls and the Raiders picked up 23.
- Holy Cross won 13 of 24 face offs.
- Holy Cross went 2-4 on extra-man opportunities, and Colgate went 1-3.
The Crusaders will play their regular season finale against Boston University at Kuzniewski Field in Worcester, Mass. on April 20 at 7:00 p.m. for the Turnpike Trophy.