Fitton Field

Home of the Crusaders for nearly a century, Fitton Field is one of the finest grass fields in the Northeast. The field has played host to some of the most memorable contests in New England college baseball history.

The Crusader baseball program began in 1876, but it was not until 1905 when Holy Cross played its first game at Fitton. Prior to its 8-5 win over Brown on April 19, 1905, the Crusaders played their home contests at both Driving Park and the Worcester Oval.

Thousands have flocked to Fitton Field to watch the Crusaders over the years. The Holy Cross-Boston College series has attracted some of the largest crowds in New England college baseball history. In 1923, a crowd of more than 22,000 turned out to witness Crusader ace Owen Carroll hurl a five-hitter and lead Holy Cross to a 5-2 win over Boston College. One year later, Carroll pitched a three-hitter with 10 strikeouts as Holy Cross edged the Eagles 3-1 before 20,000 at Fitton.

In a springboard to its 1952 College World Series championship, the Crusaders defeated Boston College 13-3 at Fitton in their final regular season game of that year to earn a trip to Omaha, Neb., for the World Series.

In the spring of 2005, the field was renovated to include lighting and permanent seating for 3,000 spectators.

Capacity: 3,000
Surface: Grass
Built: 1905
Renovated: 2005
Dimensions: LF (332), LCF (357), CF (385), RCF (372), RF (313)
Longest Winning Streak: 35 Games (1922-1925)
First Game: April 19, 1905
Most Wins in a Season: 17 (1921)
Namesake: Named after Father Fitton, who purchased the land on which the school was founded and deeded it to Bishop Fenwick in 1843.

 

Fitton Field