Scoreboard: No games played
Schedule: Saturday, Feb. 23 at No. 24 Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Va., 2:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 23 vs. Delaware, Blacksburg, Va., 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 24 vs. Temple, Blacksburg, Va., 11:00 a.m.
Sunday, Feb. 24 vs. Temple, Blacksburg, Va., 2:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross baseball team opens the season with one game versus No. 24 Virginia Tech and Deleware on Saturday, Feb. 23 and a doubleheader versus Temple on Sunday, Feb. 24. The Hokies are ranked 24th in the nation by Baseball Americaand opened the season with a pair of two-game sweeps versus Kent State and UNC Wilmington. Delaware is 1-1 after two games last weekend as Temple is 0-2 on the young season. Temple was pegged to finish in 13th place in the Atlantic-10 conference, while Virginia Tech is one of five teams in the ACC currently in the Top-25 poll by Baseball America. The Crusaders are 0-2-0 versus the Hokies, 1-2-0 versus the Blue Hens and 1-3-0 versus the Owls overall.
- The Crusaders were picked to finish tied for first in the 2013 Patriot League Preseason Poll with Army at 45 points each. Holy Cross did have six first-place votes to Army's five. The Crusaders finished second in the Patriot League a season ago after breaking the school record with 33 wins (33-22 overall; 13-7 Patriot League). They also fell one game shy of claiming their first Patriot League title as the Crusaders pushed Army to the third game, but lost in the end to the Black Knights.
- Holy Cross returns much of its starting lineup as it will have 12 seniors on this year's squad. Senior co- captain John Colella (Herndon, Va.) returns, as this year's closer, as he broke the Holy Cross record with 11 saves in 2012. Senior shortstop Alex Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y.) returns as the Holy Cross' all-time stolen base leader with 44 swipes. He played in all 55 games in 2012 and had a .292 batting average while leading the team with 62 hits and 14 stolen bases. Senior outfielder Patrick Puentes (East Greenbush, N.Y.) led the 2012 team with a .343 batting average as he had 46 hits and 28 runs scored. Fourth-year first baseman Jordan Enos (Stockton, Calif.) played in 47 games a season ago at first base and catcher. He finished the campaign with a .305 batting average, 46 hits, 23 RBI and a team-best 11 doubles.
- Junior co-captain Mike Ahmed (East Longmeadow, Mass.) headlines a strong group of third-year players. Ahmed, who was voted as Patriot League Preseason Player of the Year, boasted a .295 batting average with 61 hits and team-highs of 39 runs scored and seven home runs. Ahmed also played during the summer in the prestigious Cape Cod Baseball League. Also, junior outfielder Brandon Cipolla (Abington, Mass.) played in all 55 games in 2012 and was second on the squad with a .323 batting average. He had 52 hits, 10 doubles, 28 RBI and five home runs.
- Colella, Maldonado, Puentes, Enos, Ahmed and Cipolla were all members of the 2013 Preseason All-Patriot League Team. Holy Cross held six of the 12 spots on the team as voted upon by Patriot League SIDs and head coaches.
- Head coach Greg DiCenzo enters his sixth season at the helm of the Holy Cross baseball team. He returns 24 letterwinners to his lineup and adds eight newcomers. With the results from the 2012 season, coach DiCenzo has now compiled a career record of 126-126-1, including 54 wins and 44 losses in Patriot League play over his five seasons.